Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went against what I was originally going to do. I did a 15g water change this morning, then after testing again to confirm 0 on ammonia and nitrite, bit the bullet and got a cardinal and a peppermint shrimp. Nitrate is less than 5, but it's more than 0.

Skimmer also finally started working. The bubbles are white as they come in to the cup, but the cup is the color of pee. I'll try and find my video camera so someone can tell me if I have it dialed in right. I ran it wide open for a week and a half or so, as instructed by a guy who has used almost every skimmer possible, to break it in. Since I've never seen a skimmer in operation, other than the vids on youtube, I just don't know exactly how it's supposed to work. It's kind of 'puking' so to speak. The foam comes to the top of the neck, then a big air bubble lets loose and they drop back down an inch or so... then they eventually work themselves up in to the cup. It's just an up and down motion, no constant flow of foam.

Ahh, I will try. The cardinal is a little mad about being put in a bag and moved, so it's hiding behind all the rock. The pep is exploring the new habitat. I will get some just as soon as they cooperate.

Ah reminds me of my project management class = ain't written, ain't said! Ain't signed, ain't written! So yes, PICTURES!

Sounds like the tank is coming along nicely. Your skimmer sound pretty dialed in. If the bubbles were a constant stream over the top you would have to empty the cup every day or more. It should take 4 - 7 days to get to the point you want to empty it, and that is with a decent feeding schedule.

Nitrates under 20 are good, 5 and under are right on for corals. It usually takes a while to get there.

Skimmate is a personal preference. Some like it wet like you have it now, some prefer it dark. I like the tea - strong tea color vs. coffee colored skimmate.

Now that you have your first livestock you will start feeding (overfeeding) the tank. That will give the skimmer something to work on. You may need to adjust it periodically as you build your livestock and adjust your feeding.

You'll get the hang of it over the next few months.

What kind of cardinal did you get?

I got a kaudersn (aka bangaii). It's the one that really caught my eye at the beginning and I decided I had to have one (or more) if it was compatible. The guy I got it from said he usually either kept them solo, or in a group of 3-4. So... I'll do 3 if the stocking plan allows.

Here are some pretty terrible pics. The shrimp is nowhere to be found, I did spot 3 more brittle stars though. At least, that's what I'm calling them. Couldn't get any pics though. If i find my video camera, I can zoom in much closer.

img_1721750_0_d2e0f9a58ad582c6f3b5966eda8d37f1.jpg

And a sponge? that I discovered...

img_1721750_1_e19fd3020e2db47d4526f17208f4bbe8.jpg

I set up a group buy for BRS for next week. I think I'll order their dual reactor and run carbon and GFO. Anyone got any reason for me not to? Are the benefits good enough to justify dropping another ~$100?

still losing about 2 gallons a day though?? Im trying to figure out if i should cover mine or not. I might cover mine up 2/3 of the way if anything. My tank is in my room (with a walk in/open closset), so i do not want 2gallons of water evaporate everyday

Well, an inch of a 10g tank is less than a gallon... I think maybe the evap was being furthered because I wasn't topping off until I had to to prevent the pump from sucking air, which caused the water to fall about 4" to the return chamber... now that I'm keeping it about 1" below the baffle, it doesn't seem to be evaporating nearly as much.

Here are two videos of the cardinal. I have a couple ID vids, and one of my skimmer uploading now.

Exciting! Thanks for sharing the vids.

Sounds to me like the evaporation issue is under control now. Also glad to see those moonlights getting a second life :).

Yeah, they kind of curled up when I peeled them off the old fixture, but they were no match for the super glue :)

Here are two ID vids. One I think is a tube worm. The other, I can't tell. I want them to be some sort of polyps, but the fact that they all come up individually from the rock leads me to think majano or aiptasia. I can't see them clearly enough to tell yet.

Here's a vid of the skimmer

Last edited:
Very nice. The shrimp is probably hanging upside down under one of the rocks. You may see it at feeding time. You may also see a molt in the tank in the next few days. They often do that after getting into a new tank and scare the owner into thinking they died.

I have the dual BRS reactors for GFO/GAC. Wish I had gone with 2 single units. The need replacing at different intervals, though I may just leave the GAC in till the GFO is exhausted. Not sure you need this yet on a new tank.

Do you have the Hanna handheld PO4 meter? Don't bother with GFO till you test for phosphates and know you have them. The Hanna meter at ~$50 can't be beat for accuracy, especially when you are talking about <1 ppm numbers.

I don't have the tester. I hadn't really even thought of testing it, just figured since everyone seems to sing praises about GFO, it was a worthwhile preventative. I know I want to run GAC for sure. I saw their video where they said that GAC would get clogged and require a little tinkering with the flow every now and then, hadn't thought about it needing replaced sooner. Perhaps 2 single units (one for GAC now, another for GFO if needed later) would be better. Just more cords to deal with haha.

Any thoughts on the unknown things in the second vid? Perhaps if they are bad, the pep will eat them? I know they say it's hit or miss with them.

Tube worm without a crown is my guess on the first. I don't think those are pest anemone's but hard for me to tell from the video. If you see the peppermint shrimp munching on them they are probably aiptasia.

The skimmer looks good, maybe a bit too high in the column, hence the wet skimming you are seeing. You really don't have much in the tank for the skimmer to work on yet.

Tube worm without a crown is my guess on the first. I don't think those are pest anemone's but hard for me to tell from the video. If you see the peppermint shrimp munching on them they are probably aiptasia.

The skimmer looks good, maybe a bit too high in the column, hence the wet skimming you are seeing. You really don't have much in the tank for the skimmer to work on yet.

That's what I was thinking. Didn't know whether the rotting shrimp would have put anything in the water to be skimmed out or not. I'll lower it down a bit and see what happens. Guess it may take a week or two to get any real skimmate.

The shrimp finally made himself visible...

What are your alls opinions on clowns? I've been looking and saw some pink skunk clowns that I really like. Compared to the black ocellaris clowns, what would be the difference in terms of care? Also, would they behave any differently towards tankmates? I can't find any info that says they should be avoided.. lots of things saying no to tomato clowns though.

mfdrookie516 said:
What are your alls opinions on clowns? I've been looking and saw some pink skunk clowns that I really like. Compared to the black ocellaris clowns, what would be the difference in terms of care? Also, would they behave any differently towards tankmates? I can't find any info that says they should be avoided.. lots of things saying no to tomato clowns though.

I don't think there are really any differences in terms of care, and I think they are pretty peaceful. I think you should go for them, you don't see them that often. :)

mfdrookie516 said:

Clowns are cool... I like false perculas best...

Back
Top Bottom