Finally - 40 Breeder Reef Journal/Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the second vid is hard to see. They're too small to zoom in on clearly. You can see if you look close that there are 15-20 small reddish brown things. They look like of like polyps, but they have an individual 'stem' on each one going down in to the rock.

You might be right. I noticed that once the lights were off, and I took a flashlight to them, the 'polyps' were gone and there was just a tube looking thing sticking up. Sound like them?

I take it they're not a good thing, from the google searches I've done. Any tips on removal?

Black iceeeeeeeee..... Mah fav
black ice all the way!!!!

ive got an orange skunk. its neat but it doesnt swim like perculias or ocellaris.

love the banggai, just one or two? sorry if i missed something obvious im way behind on your build and may have skimmed some of it.

Last edited:
Take a look at "The worms crawl in" to help identify some of the creepy crawlers you will discover in the tank.

As for the type of Clown fish, that is strictly your choice.
The Black Ice is a new designer (engineered) fish not found in nature. ORA was expecting one thing and got this instead.

Yes, some Clownfish are known for being very territorial. I have a pair of A. percula who are rather peaceful denizens in my tank. I don't really have any bullies though there is the occasional squabble that last a few seconds.

The first vid is in fact a spionid worm-not a problem.
You could let the supposed colonial hydroids grow a bit to see if that's exactly what they are, and then you can kill them off with kalk paste or similar.

Cool. I've got several of them, good to know they're not a pest. As for the mystery thing, I'll take your advice and let them grow. I suppose there's a chance it could be something really cool and non-problematic.

Wife doesn't like the pink skunks after all. She said they don't look enough like nemo. Sigh...

I always liked black and white ocellaris clowns.
BlackPerculaWMC_U28.jpg

mfdrookie516 said:
That's what I had on my original list. I like the pink skunks, but the black ocellaris are really pretty fish.

If you have the cash to spend get an ORA clown. I've gotten bored of my Occelaris clowns since I see them everywhere

Glad to hear you decided to spin the dice and add some real LR, definitely cool to see all the additional life popping up.

I think I've heard of gold or yellow coral banded shrimp being non aggressive so maybe those would be an option?

The gold coral-bandeds are harder to find, but are definitely less aggressive than the regular. Still hard on other shrimp species however.

I think you should get as many banggai cardinals as you can. They are really interesting and striking beautiful fish.

Most I know who have tried these, usually end up with only a single one after a few months. I know several who have tried and none who have kept groups successfully long term.

If you are interested in wrasses, the six line wrasse is a really neat fish that would be fine in a 40 breeder. Just a thought!

Six lines generally get pretty territorial, but do do a good job of keeping some pest species under control. Personally I'd go with a single flasher male of some sort.

I'm going to look in to the various wrasse's. I still have a lot of deciding to do.

Here's my skimmer tonight. Looks like it's making some thicker skimmate now...

Skimmer does look good.

Other than the lined variety, I have yet to keep a wrasse that I haven't enjoyed. There are so many different varieties out there. The flashers and fairy wrasses are great, but flasher do require a mesh top. The yellow coris or green wrasse are also good choices.

They cruise in and out of the rock scape. I wouldn't consider them open water swimmers for the most part. I don't see why you couldn't do a whipfin or similar in a 40b (with a tight fitting lid).

I would say it would depend on the individual species, certainly some of them would be fine in a 40gal breeder, as Doug pointed out. I would think that you might want to research individually, as there may be some justification for the larger recommended tank sizes. IME, it seems that most recommendations seem to error more towards smaller tanks (i.e. saying you can keep them successfully in smaller tanks than you typically can), so I would be a bit more thorough in my research. I can tell you that I have successfully kept individuals in a 65, which has the same foot print as your 40b. Just for my own information, what is LA? I generally use SWF for my saltwater recommendations.

Live aquaria. They usually have pretty good recommendations. I'll look in to them. I'm not 100% set on one, just looking at my options. I rescaped the tank... again. I like it every time I do it, but I think I may have found my favorite so far. Probably not a typical scape, but then again, who wants typical?

Back
Top Bottom