Finally fully cycled - and now the questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerrbear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After more than a month, I finally got a fully cycled tank! Yay! Did a 95% water change, tested once more, then went out and got Captain Jack (the 2nd). He's been in the tank for almost two weeks now, and doing great! In fact, he seems a lot healthier and more active than when I got him, and his colors are definitely brighter.

A few questions:

What is the ideal water temp for a Betta? I have the temp at 85 - 86, and he seems pretty comfortable, but I want to make sure that I'm not slowly cooking him.

I have been thinking about possibly getting two African Dwarf Frogs as tank-mates. Does anyone have any experience with Bettas and ADFs? Or any suggestions for good tank-mates other than AFDs?

Finally, is there an acceptable level of nitrates? I've been doing 30% pwcs about every 5 days, but nearly every time I test (about every three days), the NO3 is at 5 - 10 ppm. Is this a safe level? Ph is consistently at 7.8, and ammonia and NO2 are consistently at 0.

Thanks to everyone who was so helpful answering my newbie questions. I'm so glad to feel like a responsible fish owner at last!

BTW, 5.5 gallon tank w/heater, bubble stone, Top Fin filter, silk plants, and gravel/stones. Pics attached.

Attachments

• image-3161944147.jpg
    image-3161944147.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 60
  • image-1356694746.jpg
    image-1356694746.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image-962988947.jpg
    image-962988947.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 65
The temp should be around 78F. 86 is too hot.

That is a good nitrate level. Everything sounds good except the temp.

I agree with what fort said, 86 is too hot. 78-80 the ideal temperature for a betta. Also, make sure you can return the frogs if need be. Every betta has a different personality. Some bettas kill anything that comes into the tank with them, others will allow anything with them. ADF's usually work, just have a back up plan in case it goes badly.

YAY Captain Jack II! I agree with the others, 5-10 nitrates is good, temp should be about 80. I have a mystery snail with each of my male Bettas. I think they nipped at them in the beginning but all have stopped & are doing good.

Back
Top Bottom