Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update...the little moor is still active, eating and acting completely normal. I'm going to keep up with the water changes and see how it goes.
I was just watching my tank and realized that I can't believe it took me so many years to finally be this happy with my fish. I love these goldfish! I'm so totally hooked now.

Merry Christmas AA folks!

IMG_3532.JPGIMG_3536.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, so hoping these all go well and the moor is fine. Wishing now I had a spare tank for fancy goldfish now as well :) Closest I get is getting books out of the library to look at the history of them and check out show quality ones from Japan.

Thanks!!
I stopped by Petco while I was in Asheville today and they have their $1 per gallon sale going on. They had several 75g tanks too. I didn't think those were included in the sale but I asked and they are!! I had my dog with me and the back of my car packed with stuff so I didn't have room to bring one home. I certainly have the filters and I have a big, solid wood, sturdy desk I plan to use as a stand. I measured everything and the tank will fit perfectly on it. I'll be making another trip this week to grab one of those tanks! Super excited. All I'll need is another LED light for my plants and more sand.

Thanks!!
I stopped by Petco while I was in Asheville today and they have their $1 per gallon sale going on. They had several 75g tanks too. I didn't think those were included in the sale but I asked and they are!! I had my dog with me and the back of my car packed with stuff so I didn't have room to bring one home. I certainly have the filters and I have a big, solid wood, sturdy desk I plan to use as a stand. I measured everything and the tank will fit perfectly on it. I'll be making another trip this week to grab one of those tanks! Super excited. All I'll need is another LED light for my plants and more sand.
Yea!

I need to take advantage of that sale.

Thanks!!

That is great news for sooooo many people and hope you get that tank soon!

I know, me too!
Wow, I've always heard about how messy goldfish are, but dang, this little moor proves it. I can't get over the mess that accumulates in the qt bowl in one day. He's still eating and doing well. Peas for dinner....yuck.

Yes, not an exageration about why the filtration turn over rates are 10x gallon (that's the minimum) per hour for tank size. Easy to explain why so many issues come up with sick (or dead) Goldies.

Seems the little Moor is still doing better? One issue though is that once having a serious episode of illness they are more likely to be more sensitive and have greater chance of health issues in the future. One more reason to stay on top of pwc/care.

Well, the weird thing here is that I never was able to determine a specific illness. Could be that there isn't a thing wrong except a couple of scrapes. This fish never showed behavioral symptoms, just some odd places on his body. He continues to eat and behave perfectly normal.

So...when I get the 75g set up, I planned to run the two 2217 Eheims, but I also have 2213 I could run as well. More is better I'm sure

2213 rating says 116G p/hr

2217 = 159
+159 =318
plus 116 = 434G p/hr total with all 3 filters

As a side note I use a older model (not currently made but there is a similar new model) Fluval FX-5 600g p/hr

Hmm, never actually did the math. Pretty important aspect for me to simply assume that I had it covered. Plus, the manufacturers advertised gph is lower when filter media is added, so I actually have less than the number you figured. I need at least 750 gph, right?

Wait, it's been a while since I checked but Eheim claims that the 2217 has a maximum flow rate of 264 gph. Obviously that would be lower when it's full of media, but even then, I still wouldn't have 10x per gallon on a 75g

Last edited:
I picked up a sunsun 302 for about $45 and it is rated at 265 gph (probably empty with minimal head height). Not the most quiet canister though. It will reside in a (new) cabinet one day so I can deal with it for now.

That's one reason I love my Eheims, my tank sits beside my bed and they are are pretty much silent. So even with large weekly water changes I couldn't do 5 goldies in a 75g with two 2217's?
I guess I know the answer to that already [emoji31]

Last edited:
Feeding tips! I'm not sure if I'm feeding enough. I have Saki-Hikari fancy goldfish pellets, which I feed daily. I also feed Repashy Soilent Green that I prepare and offer daily as well. They had mysis shrimp and peas for dinner yesterday. I plan to offer more greens and veggies too. They get something morning and night. Should I feed the pellets as a daily staple?

Flow rates would also perhaps depend on what you have in tank. I found centralising all my ornaments allowed flow to sweep around it. Before that they were in 4 spots which blocked flow a bit.

Catfish and looking loaches loved it though as they each their own bit of ground.

Hmm, never actually did the math. Pretty important aspect for me to simply assume that I had it covered. Plus, the manufacturers advertised gph is lower when filter media is added, so I actually have less than the number you figured. I need at least 750 gph, right?

Well, hahaha, I wasn't doing THAT math! But yes. 750 gp/h would be right.

It is less flow too as it gets dirtier.

As the Goldies are young now that would work for awhile. Maybe time to get a bigger filter or 2.

Back
Top Bottom