Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know what you mean. I just finished cycling my new 125g. I have my first fish in there. A nice young black broad tail oranda, that I picked up from a very dependable lfs. I'm planning on getting a couple tank mates from dandy oranda real soon

I'm sure a 125g is in my future! Don't forget to post pics of your fish. I'd love to see that tank.

Reygan2, there are a couple pics in an album on my profile it you want to take a look, will be adding more as I get more fish and add some plants and such.

I have to say, that after all the careful vacuuming I've done during this ich treatment, I am absolutely amazed at the poop these guys leave behind! Man, it's no joke!

Ya..it's amazing. How much garbage they produce. You have to really stay on top of it, so your levels don't spike. We're getting a winter storm here today, so I'm gonna stay in and clean my tanks up a bit.

I came home from work and noticed that my oranda wasn't out front with the rest of the gang, so I searched the tank and finally found her wedged somehow between a piece of driftwood and the air stone. Poor thing, I have no idea how long she was there. As soon as I released her she swam out, looking pretty rough. Her tail fins have a few tears and she has some scraped areas on her body. I swear I think she's trying to get away from the guys, they won't leave her alone! So should I qt her for a while so she can heal? Not only are the males bugging the crap out of her, I wonder if I should medicate. She ate dinner tonight, and other than trying to hide when the guys start bugging, she acting ok.

Hi reygan2 , sorry to hear about the Oranda, I would qt her until she is healed up....the stress of being injured and the males chasing her may be too much for her, when they get too stressed for too long then their immune system starts to deteriorate, which could cause her to get another illness. Good luck with her.

Hi reygan2 , sorry to hear about the Oranda, I would qt her until she is healed up....the stress of being injured and the males chasing her may be too much for her, when they get too stressed for too long then their immune system starts to deteriorate, which could cause her to get another illness. Good luck with her.

Thanks. I agree with you. I put her in qt tank last night. She seems content, eating like normal. She needs to be left alone for a bit so she can heal. I have to get another female in that tank!

Just painted the bottom and back of my brand spanking new 75 gallon!!! So stoked. I'm thinking of running the 2 Eheim 2217's on it and adding an AC 110. I'm still undecided on a light fixture. I've been really happy with my Finnex FugeRay on the 40b, but I don't know if I want the 24/7. I looked at a few Beamswork fixtures, but I have no experience with them. Money isn't really an object, but I don't want to get too crazy. I just want to grow crypts and other low light types.

Dang...my little Lulabell has the floatie bloaties. Noticed it when I got home from work. She's still eating and active, so I plopped her in the hospital tank with epsom salt and fed her peas for dinner, which she devoured. I hope it's just constipation. If not, I've acquired ever fish med known to man since starting with goldfish, so I'm fighting whatever it is.

Update...false alarm I guess. Fed peas and Lu was perfectly fine the next day. Everyone's doing great! And so wiggly I can't get a good pic.

Attachments

• IMG_3773.jpg
    IMG_3773.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 61
Thanks! The plants are just basic low light types. Crypt wendtii green, anubias, and those Lilly type bulbs that Petsmart sells. I forgot the names. They do pretty well in my tank. The fish don't uproot or eat them so far. That pic was taken before I painted the ugly green intake tube on that side of the tank. All the intake tubes from the canisters and the AquaClear are blacked out now. I love it!

Last edited:
That does sound nice on the intake tubes. Doing well with plants, I could never get them to survive with goldfish (although I think they were the tasty ones!)

I was watching a Solid Gold goldfish video last night and Jennie mentioned a breed of goldfish that she was introducing, then she mentioned Rain Garden in Hawaii. Come to find out, the gorgeous yellow fish I bought from Rain Garden is actually a Watonai. I had no idea when I ordered him. They are a cross between a wakin and a ryukin, and they are considered a POND fish! This is not good news for me :(. It was not specified in his description and I assumed he was a fantail. He's going to quickly outgrow my setup. Just sharing...

I've had him for a couple of months and his body is getting longer. He doesn't look like any of my fantails and he's larger.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom