Finally getting fancy goldies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen other posts about fish just like him from Rain Garden. Not that they've done anything wrong! He simply fits the description perfectly.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I'm going to do today.

Here's the response to my email....

Hi Amy,

I’m trying to create a yellow oranda and it has both oranda and watonai in its background. The ones that are the most oranda-like were saved for breeding and the ones that are more watonai-like were put up for sale.

..... watonai are kept in both tanks and ponds.

-steve

Interesting. I'd LOVE to have a yellow oranda!!

Last edited:
Does look really nice.

Was looking at the long body and wondering if they have any ideas on size when grown?

That was my concern too. When I read about watonai I found out they can get too large for aquariums and that they are better suited for ponds. Apparently their size can vary. I guess time will tell. If I do have to transfer him I have a relative with a beautiful, huge trout pond that he will go nicely in. The water is clear, so I could still keep an eye on him. They have a huge koi they've had for years.

Geez..last week I added a new fish that I'd qt'd for a couple of weeks and last night I noticed a few white spots I hadn't seen before. I even saw a couple on one of my other fish. Back to weeks of Rid Ich Plus :banghead:
This stuff is so hard to get rid of in a cold water tank.

Update:
I'm loving the 75 gallon tank, and things have been great up until about 2 weeks ago. This new thing that started is driving me crazy...my water is dirty!! I've never had an issue with dirty water since I've kept fish. It's not cloudy...there are actually billions of visible particles floating in my water and it looks awful! I think I've been making the rookie mistake of overfeeding. I'm not used to goldies and I've read that they should be fed twice a day. They get pellets in the morning and either gel food or frozen something in the evenings. Even weirder though, I swear the other day that mosquito larvae was floating around. The fish went nuts and ate whatever they could find. When I cleaned my filters, there were tons of tiny worm like things on the sponges. I don't know what in the world is happening. I have an inch to two inch sand substrate, and I know that goldfish are sifters, so could it be that they are simply stirring up debris on the surface of the sand? I cleaned all my filters except one. I don't know how to clear this up. I considered putting the fish in a temporary tank and starving out the planaria or whatever those worms are. As of now I've cut back on feeding dramatically. Any one else experience this? The fish seem perfectly fine.

Can't help on the worms but have you changed food at all? I find some are just messy.

No, I'm feeding the same variety. The tank water is dirty all the time now, not just after feeding. Maybe I need to vacuum the surface of the sand more. I don't always do that with my weekly water changes. I'm going to continue feeding less too.

Probably feed less like you mentioned and try Purigen and see if the water clears up. Are they really Planaria or some other type of deitrus worms, did you get a pic?

Do you ever feed live black worms/Tubifex?

Back
Top Bottom