Finally goin salty... My 10 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, after seeing carey's yellow watchman goby, I've decided to give saltwater a shot :) I have a spare ten gallon in my basement that I'm planning on using, and after numerous PM's with Carey, I think I'm finally ready to start a build thread. :) I'm researching as I go along, so bare with me! I'm not using a skimmer on this tank. Just for review... This is what I need (technology wise) to get started right?
Refractometer
Filter (just going HOB here)
Heater
Powerhead
Test kit (API for now)

For stocking, well, this was my idea:
1 clown of some sort (suggestions please!)
1 yellow watchman goby
1 cleaner shrimp maybe?
Does that sound ok?

Now for my questions:
Do clowns have to have anemones?
What brand of salt do you guys like best?
How much rock should I use?
Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm going with a 2 inch sand bed. For now this is just going to be FOWLR, but I'll most likely upgrade my lights and go reef at some point. Thanks for any help you can give, and I appreciate any advice! Looking forward to getting started!
Thanks
-Lauren

Clowns do not need an anemone to live happy and healthy lives so don't worry about that.

List looks good! I like the stocking, you can also add some hermits or snails as well. :)

carey said:
Clowns do not need an anemone to live happy and healthy lives so don't worry about that.

List looks good! I like the stocking, you can also add some hermits or snails as well. :)

That's good! What type of clown/inverts do you recommend?

I would stick with the smaller regular oscellaris clowns. You still have a pretty small tank so the bigger ones wouldnt be a good choice. You could also get a b&w clown instead, I loved mine.

Inverts you can add would be snails, hermits and shrimp. You could easily have a couple peppermint shrimps too. The cleaners are kind pricey and some are kinda big with their antenna.

Agree on stocking:) I use instant ocean for my slat, dissolves pretty quickly and hasn't done me wrong. In terms of rock, I'd go with 15-20 lbs. Be careful not to go overboard on the ph, it'll be a tsunami in there. You're gonna be salty,

carey said:
I would stick with the smaller regular oscellaris clowns. You still have a pretty small tank so the bigger ones wouldnt be a good choice. You could also get a b&w clown instead, I loved mine.

Inverts you can add would be snails, hermits and shrimp. You could easily have a couple peppermint shrimps too. The cleaners are kind pricey and some are kinda big with their antenna.

Ok, so no cleaner shrimp? When you say hermit crabs, I'm assuming you're talking totally aquatic... Not the ones that can go on land? Or are they the sane thing? I like the peppermint shrimp! Maybe 2 or 3? I think I'll just go with the oscellaris clowns... I heard the b&w's are kind of expensive :)

huma-huma said:
Agree on stocking:) I use instant ocean for my slat, dissolves pretty quickly and hasn't done me wrong. In terms of rock, I'd go with 15-20 lbs. Be careful not to go overboard on the ph, it'll be a tsunami in there. You're gonna be salty,

Ok, so instant ocean and maybe 15 lbs of rock, so I can add more if I need to. What do you mean by going overboard with Ph?

huma-huma said:
You don't wanna put a 1200gph ph on a 10g tank...just way too overpowering :)

Oh, I thought you were talking about chemical Ph lol. For powerheads, Carey said 240 and 425 are good options... Which would you guys do?

Hmm idk honestly, because I have a 350 and it makes a pretty strong current in a 10g, I'd lean more towards the 425

huma-huma said:
Hmm idk honestly, because I have a 350 and it makes a pretty strong current in a 10g, I'd lean more towards the 425

So, 425 would be better. Ok. Also, I forgot to mention that the filter will be an aquaclear 30. (I like that size on a 10) and with the stronger powerhead I probably don't want all the extra filter flow. What should I run in it? Just sponge and biomax, or all 3?

huma-huma said:
I'd run the biomax and sponge, but carey may wanna chime in on that

That was my thinking, but we'll see what she says. Also, how much live rock to base rock will I need? It'll all wind up LR in the end right?

Homedog98 said:
That was my thinking, but we'll see what she says. Also, how much live rock to base rock will I need? It'll all wind up LR in the end right?

yup id say go 6-7base 2-5live i have 12lb in miine roughly 7-8base 2-4live

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
yup id say go 6-7base 2-5live i have 12lb in miine roughly 7-8base 2-4live

Alright, that sounds good to me. So I'm going for about 15 I guess, so maybe 9 base to 6 live, or is that too much?

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
cost wise that much live may be im lucky its only 3.99lb for me but most people its 5.99-7.99 lb

Ok... So maybe less lol, I think I'll have to order online, but there's a saltwater store about 40 minutes away. I don't think it sells LR though.

huma-huma said:
You don't really need that much lr...I'd go with 3-4 lbs of live..the rest base

Ok cool. That just saved me a load of $ lol. So like, 11 lbs base, 4 lbs live?

Back
Top Bottom