finally got fry, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
today I came home from work and noticed fry in my 15 gallon tank , it has 3 females and 2 male platys

i spent about 30 mins trying to catch them and put them in a breeder net and had no luck ! there so god dam fast , there's more the 5 in there but not to sure how many !!

the tank is pretty well planted , should I just leave them ?

what will they eat as anything i feed them the adults get first ??

don't know what to do , and i don't want them all to die :confused::confused:
any help would be great :)

If you want to keep some your best chance is to catch them and keep them in a separate tank, you can feed them broken up flake food I believe, but if your tank is well planted and you don't want to be over run with fry I would leave them all in there and let nature take its course, I expect I couple will survive!

Ok I'll try and catch some !

Will they get food in the
Main tank ? Won't the adults eat it before they get a chance ?

My mollies just had fry and I caught them or most of them and put them in a breeder tank and fed them "First Bites", a powder like food just for fry. All have survived and are getting bigger every day! Good luck with yours.

I've always left my fry in the main tank. Most of them survive because they can hide very well under decor, gravel, and in plants. I would leave them be

Can you move the adults? When I used to breed guppies, if they had an unexpected clutch I would take the adults out first so they wouldn't eat them while I "fished" for fry and then attempt to catch the babies with a 1c measuring spoon. It was tedious work as they were fast as hell and would burrow in to the gravel. But I usually got them all.

Granted I was ignorant and kept four adult guppies in. 3G vase with a wide opening with bamboo. So it was a much smaller area to work with.

I managed to catch 3 and put them in a breeder net , there's still about 5 more in the main tank which I will try catch ASAP !

Will get some food for them and hopefully they will survive :)

Back
Top Bottom