Finally got the test kit...now what

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The HTR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I broke down and got the API Master Test Kit Today...my figures are as follows:

Ammonia: 4.0
Nitrite: 1.0
Nitrate: 5.0
Ph: 7.2

What's the plan of action to get my aquarium to where it is supposed to be?

I have a 20g with an African Cichlid and Jewel Cichlid (both small) a pleco, two mystery snails and an African dwarf frog.

should do a water change immediately, try a solid 50% or more to get the ammonia down.

Basically you want to try and keep the ammonia down as low as possible while cycling with fish, like 1ppm max. When its cycled the ammonia and nitrite should stay at zero, and nitrates will continue to rise. Goal is to keep nitrates below 40 by controlling with PWC's regularly

How long has the tank been setup?

Since your cycling you should test the water daily(and be prepared to change it daily), also it would be good to test your tap water or whatever is in the tank to get an idea(incase it shows some)

Last edited:
I would do 75% myself with that ammonia reading, and 50% tomorrow and possibly the day after. Ammonia and nitrite burn the fish and the frog. Nitrate readings are inaccurate with that high of levels of ammonia and nitrite. You want to keep both as close to 0ppm as possible. Once cycled aim for 20 or less nitrates.

The tank has been set up since May 18th

I did a 50% water change earlier this evening and tested the ammonia again tonight and got 1.0ppm

Test again in the morning and be prepared to do another water change. You need to keep the Ammonia level under 1ppm and preferably under 0.5ppm if you can so your fish and frog won't suffer.

Evenutally, ammonia will return to 0ppm and stay there. When that happens, your NitrITE will spike upwards and you'll have to continue doing PWCs to keep this under 1ppm and ideally under 0.5ppm (apply the same rules as Ammonia).

When both Ammonia and NitrITE stay at 0ppm by themselves, then you can ease back on the PWCs. I'm sorry to say that you may have to do this for the next 4-6 weeks.... It's different for every tank.

And make sure you use a good de-chlorinator like Seachem Prime. And I also test my tap water periodically. Not all water is treated the same way, and it's good to know what you're dealing with. Also, treatment methods can change, and occasionally you'll see changes at the other end.

Alternatively, you could return the pets to the LFS and do a fishless cycle.

Did another 25% water change this morning and got the following

Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 1.0

Good job on getting the test kits and the additional PWC! Your fish will thank you.

I'd be doing another 30-40% PWC tonight and re-test. Preferably you want to keep the levels under 1ppm, not at 1ppm, because they will go higher over the course of the day and this will be harmful for the fish.

Unfortunately you're going to have to keep doing this until the tank fully cycles. This is a typical routines when cycling with a tank full of fish so pleqase dontt hink you;re the only person whose had to go tohrough this.

A typical tank will take up to 6 weeks I'm afraid (and occasionally even longer) to fully cycle, but since the tank has been up with fish in it since May 18, hopefully it should only be a couple more weeks.

Did you get a chance to test your tap water?

Just tested the tap water

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0

I wonder if the 5.0 nitrate is what is showing up in my aquarium water tests.

After another 25% water change here are the parameters:

Ph: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 10

Am I moving in the right direction?

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't mean to post that because I went to check prior to posting and you're right, I got your post confused with another, but it posted it anyway... I have removed the irrelevant content.

Back
Top Bottom