Finishing up my stocking list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And a kole tang requires a 75g? The length is still the same as a 55g though. It's just wider. I think the depth is even the same too. How big do kole tangs get?

6 inches but they're ACTIVE!!! All tangs are, thats they're problem, will this be a reef or FO, if not a reef I'd suggest an easier butterflyfish for a display fish

Oh nvm. the butterflies are reef with caution. dang. they woulda looked as cool as a tang. any thing else I can add?

I looked at the cardinal fish. It says at liveaquaria that they eat live food and are semi aggressive. That kinda turned me off to them. I dont want to have to deal with live food. :-(

I know youre trying, thanks for that. Am i wrong about the cardinal fish?

I was under the impression that theyre easy to feed and peaceful, maybe im wrong though

All good. Someone will chime in i'm hoping. i should have the setup tuesday and i want to get my stocking list ready before then. Wanna setup the rockwork is the fish I want need anything special. I still am getting a watchman goby and the gramma I think.

My stock list will read :
2 black oscellaris
1 lawnmower blenny
1 watchman goby
1 royal gramma

So what can i add to that? if i go to the 75g 4 foot tank is a kole tank reasonable? My LFS says as long as its four feet long it could be a 55g but we know how the lfs people are. I just really trust this person and she seems to think 4 feet is ok for tangs.

Please don't flame, just really wanna wade through the rumors and find out whats true.

thanks for reading, i know this one was long lol

i had a 55G saltwater years ago had a yellow tang it in was doing great for months til my anemone killed it

Aww man thats rough. i'm glad i rehomed my anenome i would just worry all the time. did your tang seem happy in your 55? did he grow full size and healthy til the anenome?

well when i got him he was maybe 2" big and i had him for maybe 5 months before the accident but before that he was doing great

See some people say it's ok. the girl at the lfs says she has had hers in for 9 years with no problems. But some people swear by the six foot rule. I mean if he needs room i can make the rockwork accomadate that.

thanks for the sharing. :)

A 75 is deeper than a 55, I'm fairly sure the dimensions are otherwise the same. If you must have a tang a tomini or kole like what was suggested earlier would be best. Those yellow tangs get pretty big, the two I mentioned earlier would be the only ones I'd suggest for a tank under 6'.

As far as stocking the 29 everything looks good, and as far as I know banggai cardinals are easy fish to keep, you don't have to feed live foods

Carey, so far I am disappointed with the gramma. Pretty fish, but NEVER comes out from behind the rocks! I am hoping it will get more comfortable soon, but for now, kind of a waste :(

Oops, I think he was watching me type! Now it's coming around to the front. I think it will look really nice when I get a yellow watchman goby or a midas blenny!

Carey, so far I am disappointed with the gramma. Pretty fish, but NEVER comes out from behind the rocks! I am hoping it will get more comfortable soon, but for now, kind of a waste :(

He's probably just shy. lol I'm hoping to add one.

Banggai cardinals are very peaceful and eat frozen foods well. I dont know what liveaquaria is talking about! haha. They also breed a lot in captivity if happy, their young are suppose to be pretty easy to raise as well. I have two that have mated once but lost their eggs since it was their first time. They may show a tad bit of aggression when mating maybe, but i think its mostly towards other cardinals. If you get one i doubt there would be any aggression at all.
I like them because they just kinda sit out front, not a whole lot of movement from them but they are always out in the open.

Yep, I'm gonna do some more research on the cardinals, I liked them but was thrown off by potential aggression.

Corey: Thanks for the input. I will look at those two tangs. I kinda figured the yellow ones were too big. I am going to look at a 55g and 75g in about an hour. Would the smaller tangs work in the 55 ya think or do I defintley need the 75? I'm pretty flexible but I wanted to totally explore the tang option before more stocking.

how much bigger is a 75 from a 55 i thought it was only a couple inches taller

Back
Top Bottom