Finnex planted+ vs finnex ray2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello I am setting up a 29 gallon planted tank I currently have the national geographic deluxe programmable LED aquarium light 24". It has 3 LED lights with blue option I was planning on adding another light so I could grow high light plants. I will be running DIY CO2. I'm debating between these two lights. Im new to planted tanks so any information would be great thanks:)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1407448869984.jpg
    1407448869984.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 144
IMO they have around the same plant growing capacity, with the ray 2 being a bit stronger. The p+ is good for red plants and makes your fish look great due to its red LEDs that are mixed in. The ray 2 is a bit washed out.

IMO they have around the same plant growing capacity, with the ray 2 being a bit stronger. The p+ is good for red plants and makes your fish look great due to its red LEDs that are mixed in. The ray 2 is a bit washed out.

I thought they were close but being a noob I wanted to make sure and I think ill go with planted+ as I plan to have some fish that I would love their color to show! I'm planning on using either the planted+ or the ray2 with my current light. Any idea where that would but me as far as rating?

Return the nat. Geo. If possible and get a planted plus. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sadly I cant been up and running for about 2 weeks it was a gift from the parents they were trying to help me out with this tank (probably so I would shut up about it ;) ) anyway when this was for sale at petsmart they snatched it up.

Petsmart has a 60 day policy on lighting;) keep it or not a planted plus will make a fine addition.

Petsmart has a 60 day policy on lighting;) keep it or not a planted plus will make a fine addition.

Well it was a gift so I think I'll keep it (; but that's good to know. If I add the p+ where would I be at with my light as far as low-high?

With both probably to high for diy co2. Just run a planted plus. Its worked wonders for my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With both probably to high for diy co2. Just run a planted plus. Its worked wonders for my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
But if I just run the p+ I will have low light since I have an 18" tank and I would like to be above low light.

It's hard to say with not knowing how the Nat Geo light performs. To my understanding, it's a new product without PAR data. 21W seems like it'll put decent light. 18" is a fairly tall tank to penetrate. I would haphazard a guess that with the Nat Geo & P+ you'll be medium-high in light.

Have your considered the Current Satellite LED+? It's overall power (PAR) is less than a P+, but it's far more versatile with dimming, color control, and FX. I think with the two lights, you'll be in moderate light range.

But it's all a guess without PAR data or a PAR meter.

It's hard to say with not knowing how the Nat Geo light performs. To my understanding, it's a new product without PAR data. 21W seems like it'll put decent light. 18" is a fairly tall tank to penetrate. I would haphazard a guess that with the Nat Geo & P+ you'll be medium-high in light.

Have your considered the Current Satellite LED+? It's overall power (PAR) is less than a P+, but it's far more versatile with dimming, color control, and FX. I think with the two lights, you'll be in moderate light range.

But it's all a guess without PAR data or a PAR meter.

I hadn't heard of the LED+ and had only been recommended the p+ bc of my budget it will take me awhile just to save up for the p+ so ill look at pricing for the LED.

I hadn't heard of the LED+ and had only been recommended the p+ bc of my budget it will take me awhile just to save up for the p+ so ill look at pricing for the LED.

Just looked it up its actually cheaper what is the PAR rating and how does that determine how high your light is?

Just looked it up its actually cheaper what is the PAR rating and how does that determine how high your light is?

In my opinion below 30 PAR is low light, 30-70 is medium, and above 70 is high. At 75ish you can pretty much grow anything with good fertilizer and co2.

In my opinion below 30 PAR is low light, 30-70 is medium, and above 70 is high. At 75ish you can pretty much grow anything with good fertilizer and co2.

Ok thanks how do I figure/find PAR of my light?

Dig deeper on google. I'm sure its out there. I'll look too.

Will do and thanks for the help! All I have is my phone so digging deeper can be an issue sadly ):

Back
Top Bottom