Finnex Ray 2 or Aquatic Life T5HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
After some recent losses in the fish world, I have decided to downsize, rearrange, and make my life a little less complicated.
I am downsizing from 4 tanks to 2 tanks in my home. WIth this, I am upgrading my exisitng planted 25 gallon tank to a 35 gallon tank, as it is an exisiting tank with a gorgeous stand and canopy. I am not happy with the stand and look I have going with the 25 gallon, so I am going to transfer everything to the larger tank, and get rid of the 25 gallon.

which brings me to my quesion.............

I currently have a 24inch Aquatic Life T5 HO. It is a little short for the 35 gallon (30 inches long), but I can adjust it work. Problem is.........the tank is about 1-2 inches TALLER than the 25 gallon it currently sits on, and I have found the 1 fixture does not give me the kind of light I want.
I am going to purchase a 2nd light, in a 30 inch to go over the new tank, and use this exisiting one as the 2nd light over the tank, which should give me the lighting I want.
My problem is..........I am leaning towards going LED with the Finnex Ray 2 for the 30 inch light. It is a slimmer design, less cost as far as bulb repalcement, and electric costs, and I think it will fit better under the canopy (which has an open top design, so I am not worried about heat problems).
Is the Ray 2 compareable to the Aquatic Life T5HO light, in the sense I won't be downgrading much with light?
I do plan to use the 24 inch T5HO as the 2nd light, running less hours than the 30 inch, but I am just not sure if I should go with another T5HO, or bite the bullet and go for the Ray 2 LED.

Anyone use both lights and prefer one over the other?

Brian...........since you are the light expert ;), what are your thoughts? Will a Ray 2 be enough to give me adequate lighting over a 22 inch tank, 3-4 inch substrate bed?
Any other "better" options for LED lights, other than DIY (yea, that's not gonna happen) that is semi-comparable in price?

Since you'll be also using the t5ho, you should be good in terms of getting full spectrum with a Ray 2, running them in tandem. I find the Ray 2 by itself is great at growing green plants but doesn't perform that well with colored plants in taller tanks because it's blue spectrum heavy. Finnex will be producing a Fugeray Plant+ LED that has red diodes in it too, should be out November if you're willing to wait. However, PAR is less than the current Ray 2 model. So if brighter light is what you're after, a Ray 2 would be fine. Just keep good full spectrum bulbs in that t5ho, like giesseman bulbs (I would use 1x midday + 1x aquaflora, should help balance the Ray 2's skewed spectrum).

Check out this thread, PAR tests show that the Ray 2 performs well in comparison to t5ho (with PAR, not full spectrum).
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...life-dual-t5ho-and-finnex-ray-2-a-272749.html

If your budget permits and you want a new LED light like yesterday, check out the BuildmyLED.com lights.. the planted one is really good, according to reviews and Rivercats. It has a full spectrum makeup that I like. You can get with 75° or 90° optics for deeper penetration on taller tanks. I'd ask Rivercats to chime in on that one.

http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-planted-tank/

Edit: just be prepared to re-dial in your co2 injection to cope with that added light...otherwise algae will ensue.

Last edited:
Wow. I just read the entire thread for the Fugeray Planted. Any idea when they plan to put that out on the market? Maybe I should hold off on getting a new light until this comes out............lol

It's scheduled to release this November. It's slightly weaker than the Ray 2 but since you have an AL t5ho, you can run the lights longer and use less co2.

Ok. I think I am going to go with the FInnex Ray 2...........but now I am seeing there is a Ray 2 day/actinic combo, and one that is just called Daylight.
I want to go with just the daylight one, right? Actinic is more for Salt water applications, correct?

Rock on, thanks for your help Brian. I will be keeping my eye out for the Fugeray Plant light.....it looks pretty cool. I am excited to go LED here. :)

Rock on, thanks for your help Brian. I will be keeping my eye out for the Fugeray Plant light.....it looks pretty cool. I am excited to go LED here. :)

I have found the finnex is a little better par wise the big difference though is the spread of light the finnex puts out with the 120 degree lenses. The ray 2 gives me high light throughout my 75 gallon. The aquaticlife is medium-high light directly under with low end of medium towards the front and back of the tank. I the lights defense it is an 18 inch wide tank. I can't use both lights at once even with pressurized co2 because ill get algae everywhere. I use the aquaticlife 6 hours a day with the ray 2 for a 2 hour noon burst.

Yeah it's an exciting time for LEDs with much more room to grow. I was thrilled to get my hands on my first Ray 2. It's still a very capable light. I had three at one point. :)

Back
Top Bottom