Fire Eels.... New Pics.... 8/11/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the LFS here pulled it off, lol. They were able to order fire eels, and I got the 2 they ordered for me. One is about 3 inches, and the other about 4.5 inches. They are spunky too, lol. Look to be in great shape. The 39 tiger barbs have been checking them out, but they don't mind, lol. In fact, they are giving some of the barbs a good chase, lol. Will try and get some pics when I get the time.... :D

Too bad I don't have the Emperor filters anymore, lol. They have to make due with the sandy bottom and all the driftwood and rocks, and sewer pipes, lol.

LOL Your 39 tiger barbs? You count them all? lol

Nice you got a couple of small ones. I never see fire eels under 8'' at my lfs.

These guys are tiny and comical. I like how they come up, laying on the bottom and their headup, looking right at you like a snake, lol. So cool. And yes, I have 39 tigers. No, I don't count them. I had 7, then I got 12 more, and then I got 20 babies. And since I've had no deaths and haven't had them for real long, I feel confident I have 39 still, lol.

Oh, and these guys are the replacements for the 2 that I had, and were 16" when they escaped the tank, and found them dead. Was really sad. Still don't have a good canopy, but I no longer have the Emperor filters, and am keeping the waterline lower and glass tops on when I'm not here.

My lfs has I think around 300 gallon tank that has two big fire eels and other large fish and what they do is weigh down the lid of the canopy with bags of gravel just to make sure. HTH.

Actually, my plan is building a new stand and a canopy. And the canopy will sit 8-10 inches above the top of the tank, and the canister filterwill be plumbed through the back wall of the canopy. I'm thinking of doing it so the back side is permanent, and the front half is removable, if I wanted to remove it. It will also have doors in the front for maintenance and feeding, but the front halfwill be removable if I needed to do anything more major. And there will be glass between the lights and the water to protect against splatter. The glass panels will slide out the front if you needed to access the florescents. Trying to make it as simple as possible for maintenance.

Here's some pics......
55g111.jpg

55g112.jpg

55g113.jpg

55g114.jpg

55g115.jpg

55g116.jpg

55g117.jpg

Eating freeze-dried bloodworms...
55g118.jpg

55g119.jpg

Lance M. said:
Nice! Looks like they are doing good and sounds like you have a new project.

Yup, got several projects. One is for my 55G, then one for my 75G, and then one for the 300G that I'm wanting to get, lol. It's always fun doing things you enjoy, and benefit from when it's complete. ;)

I already have them trained, lol. Every time I stick the clear plastic tube in the tank to pour the food down, the eels are at the bottom of the tube waiting for the food, lol.

Good for you. Are you going to make the tank and stand/canopy or just make the stand/canopy and buy the tank?

I've seen those plywood aquariums in the DIY section and have wanted to try making one.

I think I'm just going to buy the tank, and build the stand and canopy. I was looking at getting the glass and make the tank, but it's even more expensive that way, lol. The tank is 900.00. At the local glass shop here, to get all the right-sized pieces, it's almost 1300.00 just for the glass. lol.

Back
Top Bottom