Fire mouth cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do these fish have sharp spines or teeth because when we were picking one out the guy at my lfs got cut while taking him out of the net and the spines made the employee bleed. So my main question is do they have sharp spines or teeth that could have harmed the employee?

Yes they have very sharp spines and teeth. Both in the upper and lower jaw and their throat. What size tank is this going in ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

I bought two Firemouth cichlids last week. I didn't know their fins were sharp. But they got home and into my tank with no problems.

so are they more active when you have more then one because we have just one and he is no where to be seen we have read they like to bury themselves in the sand but we haven't seen him come out at feeding time or when we vacuum the tank during our water changes

so are they more active when you have more then one because we have just one and he is no where to be seen we have read they like to bury themselves in the sand but we haven't seen him come out at feeding time or when we vacuum the tank during our water changes

How big is he and what is he in with?

I would start looking for a 30 gallon or larger sooner than later.

we are currently looking for one that is reasonably priced and can we use an aqueon quiet flow 20 for a 30 gallon tank?

My two Firemouths are in a 75 gal tank with 2 small blood parrots and 4 baby Silver Dollars. The Firemouths hid for the first few days but now they're active, don't hide and are always ready at feeding time!

My two Firemouths are in a 75 gal tank with 2 small blood parrots and 4 baby Silver Dollars. The Firemouths hid for the first few days but now they're active, don't hide and are always ready at feeding time!

i got them friday when should the shyness be gone by and would adding another firemouth be okay?

It took mine at least a week before they started to get used to their new home. I bought my two firemouths at the same time. I wanted to be sure I was getting one male and one female. I don't know if two of the same sex will get along. Someone else would have to answer that question.

It took mine at least a week before they started to get used to their new home. I bought my two firemouths at the same time. I wanted to be sure I was getting one male and one female. I don't know if two of the same sex will get along. Someone else would have to answer that question.

thank you for the help anyways :)

i got them friday when should the shyness be gone by and would adding another firemouth be okay?

No it won't be good in that tank. It should be in at least a 30 and your existing stock is borderline too much for the 20g they're in now.

They are both friendly and I've had them for a while and have never seen any signs of aggression so chill out. My friend who works at a fish store which is highly reputable and checks your water parameters before selling you the fish and make their employees take tests on new species they get so they will be knowledgeable and said it'd be okay and he's had these 2 before in the same tank with no aggression at all so I'm going to take his word on it he has been keeping fish for many years and knows quite a lot about fish and wouldn't steer me wrong.

For starters I'd say your opening line is a bit rude and a little flawed. In your thread you claim to have gotten the firemouth last Friday, the 20th. So that's far from having them for a while. In fact hardly any amount of time to determine if any aggressiveness exists. As for doing "tests" on species compatibility, just wrong with the amount of resources available today. As well as experience. Whether they test water or not before a sale, is really nothing to go on. Your tank has been thru many ups and downs (more downs) and if he was that much of a friend and the store was that great, they wouldn't be selling you fish that are 1.) non compatible and
2.) not suitable for your tank size.

Edit : cross posted because my phone really hates me.

For starters I'd say your opening line is a bit rude and a little flawed. In your thread you claim to have gotten the firemouth last Friday, the 20th. So that's far from having them for a while. In fact hardly any amount of time to determine if any aggressiveness exists. As for doing "tests" on species compatibility, just wrong with the amount of resources available today. As well as experience. Whether they test water or not before a sale, is really nothing to go on. Your tank has been thru many ups and downs (more downs) and if he was that much of a friend and the store was that great, they wouldn't be selling you fish that are 1.) non compatible and
2.) not suitable for your tank size.

Edit : cross posted because my phone really hates me.

We are just keeping them in their as a temp. housing tank and then we will move them into a bigger tank as soon as i get my check next week. We are planning on a 40-50 gallon tank with stand and 2 aqueon quiet flow 55/75 for adequate filtration and rehome our clown pleco and upside down cat to the bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom