Firefish dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 24 Gal Nano with 2 clown, one purple/yellow damsel, one red scooter goby and a firefish.
The firefish has been in the tank about 1 month and was doing fine. Today I found him on the floor of the tank, thought he was dead. He started swimming but then laid on the rocks. It looks like his tail is decaying (or being bitten?) I put him in an isolation tank ( a guppy fry tank) inside the aquarium so no one will bother him. He is still laying on his side, breathing heavily. Water's tested good, no amonnia, or nitrites. PH 8.4 alk 1.25. Is he sick? Could the damsel have bitten him (he can get territorial but has not been chasing anyone while i watch. I don't want to risk the other fish getting sick. Is there anything I can give him to help him? I did put a little stress zyme in the water today.
Thanks for any help anyone can give me. It really hurts to see him suffer.

The damsel very well could have done it. They get very aggressive. Also moving this to the sick fish forum.

thanks for your answers

he's hanging on, looked a bit better this after- but back on his side and breathing heavily again.

'Search' the forums as I've given quite a few medication dosages for bacterial infections (bath or long-term in separate container, preferably qt).

There are many things that could happen however you have 2 fish that same shape and size (generally) they could spar if they wander to the wrong terratory of the tank . Do keep H20 quality high , move to a hospital tank if possible with pvc for hiding in then move the rock around after he is ready to come back reacclimate him to your tank move the rock around to confuse them and add him back in with the lights out monitor for distress . Also in the hosp tank you will want to keep water ready for 5%-10% H20 changes daily if needed testing should be done every day while you have a fish in there . You can keep it on a very abbreviated light schedule as well as add an air stone for oxygen saturation . You may also wish to black the tank out to keep him from stressing and dont forget a top they are jumpers Keep him well fed and this will help his healing as it will boost his immune system GL HTH :D

The firefish has passed away

The fish died in spite of my best efforts to help him. I think the damsel did attack him, because his tail fin looked bitten. He was a passive sweet little fish. I was told he would be ok with the fish I have but evidently i have one of the more agressive damsels.
Thank you all for your responses.

Damsels are mean lil critters ! They are territorial at best .. And should be the LAST thing added in any system .
Sorry for your loss it sucks but you tried !

Thank you all for your condolences. It is so sad to see this beautiful fish die and think of the damsel biting him at night in the dark.
Before I would replace him, I'd set up a third salt water tank for less aggressive fish.
Thank you all for your help too.

Sorry to hear he died. I still have never seen a fish make it from laying on its side on the bottom of the tank breathing hard to a full recovery. Has anybody seen this before?

Back
Top Bottom