Firemouth Cichlid in tropical aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecostoman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, I KNOW Cichlids are not supossed to be mixed with regular tropical fish, but I've seen it done before with certain species.

I have an obsession with Firemouth (meeki) cichlids. However, my community aquarium is not a cichlid tank. It contains:
1. Plecostomus (14")
2. Rainbow Shark
3. Elephant Nose
4. African Brown Knife
5. Iridescent Shark
6. Rubber Lip Plecostomus
7. Dojo (pepper, weather) Loach
8. Corydoras Catfishes (2)
9. Pictus Catfish
10. Apple Snails (2)

Does anyone think I can succesfully keep a Firemouth in this community?

i had two firemouths, one is dead, the other is now quite large, they dont cause any trouble, and will only bully other fish if they are about to eat food that he wanted. Dont be scared to mix cichlids in an established tank, especcily since most of your fish are bottom dwellers. Firemouths are pretty well tempered fish, my only concern is that , being a very hungry and competitive fish, he might eat all the food before your elephant gets any

Firemouths are supposed to be semi-aggressive, but my firemouth is a psychopath.
I would keep a close eye on your firemouth's behavior toward the Rainbow Shark, Elephant Nose, African Brown Knife, and Iridescent Shark. Do you have another tank available in case the firemouth becomes a fish blender?

Back
Top Bottom