Firemouth color. PART 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I've gotten responses to my last thread about why one of my Firemouth's had a red bottom(chin and underbody) an the other didn't. Some said male/female and others said more dominate one vs less dominate one. So.... Here it is.

Went home for lunch, said hi to the crew and here's what I found. Both are now red. Can anyone explain? I know some fish the color tells you of there is something wrong or if there stressed out so.... I haven't a clue. Here are pictures of my guys today. Happy and active as could be! :) was almost impossible to get a picture they were swimming all over the place.

View attachment 59333

View attachment 59334

View attachment 59335

View attachment 59336

View attachment 59337

I'm no professional but they look healthy no?

I don't know the answer, but if it makes you feel any better - I have a firemouth that does the same thing. One day it's mostly colorless and the next day it has a deep red throat. Most fish lose color when they are resting, but I've seen this color variance at all different times of the day.

I'm in the same boat as you with this observation and I don't think its dominance or gender related as was previously suggested.

More than likely there is nothing wrong with your fish. As long as they aren't colorless and laying on the gravel I wouldn't worry about it at all.

5x5 said:
I don't know the answer, but if it makes you feel any better - I have a firemouth that does the same thing. One day it's mostly colorless and the next day it has a deep red throat. Most fish lose color when they are resting, but I've seen this color variance at all different times of the day.

I'm in the same boat as you with this observation and I don't think its dominance or gender related as was previously suggested.

Thanks for your response.

Hondatek said:
More than likely there is nothing wrong with your fish. As long as they aren't colorless and laying on the gravel I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Thank you! I hope not. I mean they look pretty good to me...

Thank you both again for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom