First Angel(Fish) spawn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karatepig

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is the first spawn I've ever had in any of my tanks. It is a community tank with 6 small cories, 3 angelfish, and a 5-6" common plecostomus. I've been doing a bit of research and reading, but there is nothing better than information on the exact predicament. So, I've got some questions that relate to my current situation.

Info:
I have those fish currently in a 55 gallon tank. I have a spare 20 gallon tank that needs a bit of cleaning but is readily available. I have a colonized hydro sponge IV and a decent air pump that is currently set up at my grandfather's house in one of his tanks that I can pull.

My largest concern is that the eggs have been laid on the pipe above the intake of my filter. If I were to pull the eggs would I be removing that filter intake and setting it in the new tank or is there a method of removing the eggs from the filter with little to no failure?

Questions:

In my large tank that the fish currently reside in, I have lots and lots of java moss. Probably 4-5 times the amount that a store would consider a "bunch" that would be sold for $3-4. I have heard that java moss can act as a protection agent for young fry. Is this is a viable solution to not having to pull the eggs from the tank?

Should I set up the 20 gallon with my sponge and pull the eggs? The parents are 3" (large; female) and 1.75"-2" (smaller; male) in diameter.

What is the cheapest way to feed the babies effectively from fresh fry all the way up to marketable size? I am a freshman in high school and I don't have a good way to be making cash quite yet, so free to cheap is the most practical solution.

Will a 20 gallon tank be large enough to support the babies (again, this is a first spawn; it may not be successful but this question is more for reference, I'm sure the pair will spawn again.) all the way up to a marketable size, assuming I have optimal conditions in that tank?

What kind of light hours should I be looking at for the eggs? I'm not home from 7 AM to 4:30-5 PM, though, I can sleep with the tank lights on.

What temperature should I be keeping the eggs at?

As of now, I have no further questions, but I'm sure more will arise, as I'm trying my hardest to make this a successful spawn. Apologies for the bit of a wall of text that I have created, but I appreciate any help.

I strongly suggest you read through the thread " Wigglers at last!!!!" which is in this breeding forum. It will give you all the info you need to know about breeding and raising Angelfish with contributions from professional as well as hobbyist breeders.

I will say this, Angelfish can require a lot of room in order to grow correctly. Breeding them in a community set up is not recommended as more often than not, the other fish tend to eat the eggs or fry or stress the parents to the point that they themselves eat the eggs. Its not a cheap endeavor nor is it free. I would read through the thread to see if you really are up for the challenge of breeding them. (y)

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom