First batch of Reef Crystals on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone here use Tropic Marin? Just curious- I'd like to hear opinions. I'm considering it for my future tank.

There seems to be a lot of variance in Ca readings from the same salt mixes.

My IO mix never gave me over 300 Ca. RC gave me 420 right off the bat.

Somebody up a few posts said their IO gave them 360-380 Ca.

Strange what a range there is. I wonder if there are inconsistencies from batch to batch, or in testing methods, or if something else is an issue.

There will definitely be a range, mine would probably be pretty high, since I am on well water. I guess it all really depends on what water you use or where you live. I just got my RC delivered yesterday.

My IO mix never gave me over 300 Ca. RC gave me 420 right off the bat.
I don't understand that, unlesss there was a variation between batches or something in your water source. I've had consistnent results w/ both IO and Reef Crystals. I use RO/DI water so maybe that's why my results are what they are. I consistently get approx. 340-365 Ca for IO as well as Reef Crystals. The only difference was IO had 3.5 meg/l Alk and Reef Crystals 4 meg/l.

I guess my original questioning wasn't about what the Ca levels were of the salt water, but the fact that after a 40% water change you went from some lower level (sounds like 320) to 420. That would imply that the new salt water you put in had a Ca level of something like 550+ ppm, wouldn't it?

Either I'm misunderstanding something, or I'm thinking maybe there was a bad/contaminated test result somewhere there. Don't get me wrong - I like Reef Crystals and use them myself, but something doesn't seem right here.

I hear oceanic has great ca, but the alk is disturbingly low. I'll go ahead and chime in on being an IO user for 9yrs without any issues and ca always above 400 with minimal ca additions :)

Anyone have a link to the salt study, if results were even released (supposedly at macna)?

yea I actually decided to search for it right after I posted :s My coworker talked to Borneman who said the panel was surprised by how well IO did. Wish work permitted me to go to macna since it was only 10mins or so away :(

Update - the cyano is all gone, after switcing to reef crystals. Not a bit on the substrate, where it used to grow quickly.

Theres a little red cyano I on one particular rock that doesn't get good water flow, but its easy to siphon.

I DO now have a real hair algae problem that I didn't have before.

I'm going to have to take a few rocks out and scrub them to get it off.

Otherwise, everything seems to be doing great since the change to RC salt.

Goodbye, cyano ;)

Glad to hear the cyano is gone, Scoot! I'm a little dismayed about the hair algae though. After reading this thread a while back I bought RC hoping to get rid of my hair algae, but apparently I can't count on it. :(

Mosaic said:
I bought RC hoping to get rid of my hair algae, but apparently I can't count on it.
Keeping NO3 and PO4 levels as low as possible is the only long term solution. That goes for any tank/salt combination.

Keeping low NO3/PO4 was the primary "fix" for cyano. NO3 isn't "great", but PO4 is pretty much zero.

I'm due for some new bulbs too - which I think can be a cause of nuisance algae.

One other thing, my UV bulb needs replaced. When I added UV, all of my green algae issues dissappear in a week.

Scoot said:
I'm due for some new bulbs too - which I think can be a cause of nuisance algae.
Your right. As they get older they start to shift spectrums, which can cause algae outbreaks.
Glad to hear your having improvements w/ RC's.

oceanic here. i just switched from io. i was battling hair algea and a buit of cyano, after the switch, i havent seen either...... i use filtered water with a tds of 0, feed everyother day, do my water changes weekly, ime, it was the salt mix.

i use tropic marin salt .

readings

1.025 sg
320 ca
9 dkh +
1100 mag
8.3 ph

i have to buffer my mag then use turbo cal to get my ca up to 420 ish also using tap water

MorayMadness said:
I use Tropic Marin...have to buffer my mag then use turbo cal to get my ca up to 420 ish
Sounds like a lot of work for a salt that is more expensive than most. You could do the same w/ IO and save money. I'm not saying ones better, just less expensive.
I have a new magnesium test kit coming. I could post results for Ca, Alk, ph and magnesium of Reef Crystal's if anyones interested...

isnt tropic marin one of the best salts because it contains 75 out of the 78 trace elements that other salts dont have to sustain a reef? that is found in oceans?

Best is a matter of opinion. Is TM the best, IMO no. I don't know that there is a "best" salt mix. There are at least a few salt mixes that will give good results long term.
contains 75 out of the 78 trace elements that other salts dont have to sustain a reef
All salt mixes contain trace elements and minerals. And they all have to market their product :wink:

Back
Top Bottom