First build Biocube 8gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayridge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!

So I am starting my first tank and I chose a Biocube 8. I am just starting to learn the basics, current marine bio student taking aquarium science this semester. I bought and filled my tank, live reef sand, today and live rock to be introduced this weekend. Any thoughts on cycle time as of today and once I add the live rock? Also I have no clue on which inverts I should get. I assume once you narrow the list down to what will go well in my tank it is all personal preference. I really want to add fish eventually but how long should I wait after cycle time and the addition of my inverts? Any advice or tips are very welcome. Thanks all!

Pick yourself up a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph for starters so you can monitor your water. Once you put your rock in (traditionally you would put rock first, then sand) you will need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle. You can buy pure ammonia from a hardware store or use a raw table shrimp. Test regularly for the rise in amm, then nitrite and eventually nitrate. Once the first two hit 0 you should see high nitrates, do a big water change then you are good to go. May take anywhere from 2-4 or 6 weeks even. Investing in a refractometer will also be your Freind as that small a tank will have swings in salinity (not good for inverts) I top off my 10g every couple of days, remember water evaporates but salt doesn't so use ro-di water for top offs :) what's your plans for this tank? Stock wise?

Thanks! I have a refractometer and seachem multi test kit on the way. I'm not to sure on which inverts. I got a deal at the coral shop on the tank so I am getting a few free and I don't know which ones I'll be getting. I know I want a goby of some sorts for fish maybe even a mated pair and one other fish and maybe some small shrimp or who knows. I will know more once I figure out which corals I'm getting.

I will be getting a few GSP and Kenya tree frags for free. And fish wise I want to do a couple small gobys

Here is a current picture. DLSB and LR only so far.

Attachments

• image-1128115807.jpg
    image-1128115807.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom