First Fish Fail (Need Advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

queenyv2005

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So one day I got the brilliant idea that I wanted to have some fish in my new apartment, but I actually did my research before I added fish to my aquarium. I've made a couple mistakes so far, but I need advice on how to proceed.

I saw glofish and decided that I wanted to try having a few of those. I bought the silly 3.5 gallon novelty glofish tank. I added everything including some live plants. I bought the bacteria that I read helps the tank cycle before you add fish. I then waited about a week and bought a sucker fish (algae eater). I bought the algae wafers, but then I noticed that he wasn't eating them. I was about to look into another form of food when I found him dead. The lady at petsmart said his top fin was chewed off, but he would be fine. So when I took him out I noticed that around the top fin was all white and fuzzy. So now I'm worried that if I add more fish to that tank they'll be diseased too. Is that a correct assumption?

I was thinking that I should just get a bigger tank so that I can start fresh and do things right this time. Like maybe 16 to 20 gallon since they are easier to maintain and I can actually have the right amount of glofish. They are a schooling fish and I wouldn't want to overcrowd the 3.5 gallon tank. Maybe I can use that one for a beta or something. I still have to do something about plant food for my live plants. I have to get a water testing kit and a gravel vaccuum. What should I do? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to AA! OK, first of all, a 3.5 gallon tank is too small for glofish. It is good idea to get a 20 gallon tank so you have a few of them.
Usually, a minimum of 5 gallons is recommended for a betta. I know that seems big since petstores sell them in those tiny cups, but the cups are too small. 5 gallons is what is best for the fish.
Your 3.5 gallon tank probably came with an incandescent bulb which is no good for plants. Look at the bulb and see if it looks like a regular lightbulb or not. If it is just an incandescent bulb, the plants will die under it so you need to get a different bulb or return the plants to a petstore. You could still use that tank for shrimp and a snail. They are surprisingly fun to watch. That is too small for any fish that I personally know of. But, maybe somebody else will chime in with different advice.
There are many species of sucker fish, but none of them can survive in a tank that small for any length of time.
If the get the 20 gallon tank, you need to read up on cycling it before you purchase fish. The bottled bacteria do not work very well. There are sticky posts about it up in the "getting started" forum with different methods of cycling rather than the bottled bacteria.

I've read that 20gallon tanks are really heavy and you have to make special adjustments to the floor to support the weight. Is that true?

:welcome: to AA! :)

queenyv2005 said:
I've read that 20gallon tanks are really heavy and you have to make special adjustments to the floor to support the weight. Is that true?

No, I've kept thirty gallon tanks on the second level in my bedroom. If it was 100 gallons then I'd be concerned, but if it was 20 gallons no not really.

It all depends on what your putting it on. I have a 13 gallon on my oak dresser and everything's fine! My sister has a 8 gallon on her side table and it's fine too. I also have 2 55 gallons ones on a pine stand and the other on a metal. I don't have any floor issues either:). I would defiantly get the 20 gallon if you like glofish plus there's room for more(y) I'm not sure if any fish could go in there and if so they'd have to be small! I'd stick with shrimp:D

The general rule of thumb, is to assume that the tank weighs 10 pounds for every gallon of tank capacity (not perfect, just a general guideline). So, if your tank weighed 200 pounds, that is only as much an adult human being, so no worries about re-enforcing the floor.:)

I always felt bad for the beta fish when I see them in those tiny little cups, but why do they sell those stupid little bowl type aquariums that they claim are made especially for betas. I did read the cycling article and I'm curious which way you would suggest to introduce the right bacteria. Also should I buy an aquarium kit or just get everything seperately. I wish I found this site sooner. All of the other sites are what got me into this mess in the first place.

I always felt bad for the beta fish when I see them in those tiny little cups, but why do they sell those stupid little bowl type aquariums that they claim are made especially for betas. I did read the cycling article and I'm curious which way you would suggest to introduce the right bacteria. Also should I buy an aquarium kit or just get everything seperately. I wish I found this site sooner. All of the other sites are what got me into this mess in the first place.
I have done a fish-in cycle with platys (they all lived) and a fishless cycle with fish food. If you introduce a source of ammonia (pure ammonia is supposed to be the best), the bacteria will naturally grow. You can buy a bottle of pure ammonia from a hardware store, just make sure they aren't any additives in it. You can also put fish food in a mesh bag and add it to the tank or you can buy frozen shrimp from the grocery store and throw them in there. Like I said, if the add the ammonia, the bacteria will grow.:)

queenyv2005 said:

As do we all wish we would have found here sooner!
For bacteria: ammonia or dead shrimp or crushed up fish food. This will start the nitrogen cycle:)
Tank: I always get my stuff individually that way I get everything that I want and I usually go overboard with filtration and now a days lightings. I love craigslist and its fun to find great deals!
Do you have an API testing kit? If not I suggest getting one! Also have you read the cycling threads? There are some good ones on here!

I don't have a water testing kit yet because as usual I get to the pet store and have no idea what to buy. I'm really going to have to start over again anyway since everything I have is for a smaller tank. Do you guys use gravel for your substrate? Also where do you suggest getting fish. Petsmart selling me a fish with the top fin chewed off left me with a bad taste and I don't want to go back there.

Welcome to AA! OK, first of all, a 3.5 gallon tank is too small for glofish. It is good idea to get a 20 gallon tank so you have a few of them.
Usually, a minimum of 5 gallons is recommended for a betta. I know that seems big since petstores sell them in those tiny cups, but the cups are too small. 5 gallons is what is best for the fish.
Your 3.5 gallon tank probably came with an incandescent bulb which is no good for plants. Look at the bulb and see if it looks like a regular lightbulb or not. If it is just an incandescent bulb, the plants will die under it so you need to get a different bulb or return the plants to a petstore. You could still use that tank for shrimp and a snail. They are surprisingly fun to watch. That is too small for any fish that I personally know of. But, maybe somebody else will chime in with different advice.
There are many species of sucker fish, but none of them can survive in a tank that small for any length of time.
If the get the 20 gallon tank, you need to read up on cycling it before you purchase fish. The bottled bacteria do not work very well. There are sticky posts about it up in the "getting started" forum with different methods of cycling rather than the bottled bacteria.
incandescent bulbs can support plants just fine. i have moneywort,hornwort,and java growing like crazy inmy 10 under a desk lamp(with a 60 watt bulb)

queenyv2005 said:
I don't have a water testing kit yet because as usual I get to the pet store and have no idea what to buy. I'm really going to have to start over again anyway since everything I have is for a smaller tank. Do you guys use gravel for your substrate? Also where do you suggest getting fish. Petsmart selling me a fish with the top fin chewed off left me with a bad taste and I don't want to go back there.

I use both gravel and sand. I like sand better, though I wish it were black. Te gravel is nice too. I've gotten most all my fish from the large chain stores around me because they're really nice. Online seems to be a good place to get fish too. Just goggle: fish stores in_______ where ever you live. That's what I've done:)

incandescent bulbs can support plants just fine. i have moneywort,hornwort,and java growing like crazy inmy 10 under a desk lamp(with a 60 watt bulb)

The spectrum and intensity are the most important things when it comes to lighting, most incandescent lights (stock hood lights generally) don't have the right color spectrum (or intensity) for plant growth.

I use gravel personally, but sand works fine as well. Many people prefer sand. That is mostly just up your personal preference. :)

The spectrum and intensity are the most important things when it comes to lighting, most incandescent lights (stock hood lights generally) don't have the right color spectrum (or intensity) for plant growth.
I agree. Especially since the OP has a 3.5 gallon tank. That typically comes with a tiny, ineffectual bulb.

Hi and welcome to AA!

A bigger tank is the way to go. A 20 gal would give you a lot of options (I'm currently fishless cycling a 20 gal and I love it). I bought my 20 gal glass Top Fin (I think) at PetSmart; they had a deal where I got the tank, the hood/light and a filter for around $50. The kits are OK, depending which one you get, but they're usually more expensive and if you buy everything individually you can custom choose the parts (like filters; and buy a filter that is rated for much larger than what your tank size is).

So, did you only have the algae eater and it died (sorry!) or did you buy Glofish too?

If you have the empty 3.5 and are getting a larger tank also and no fish I'd highly suggest fishless cycling both tanks. I think a betta would be OK in a 3.5 (maybe not super ideal, but better than the conditions they are kept in at the stores), or as someone suggested you could use it for shrimp and snails.

There's a link in my signature: new empty tank. It's a guide to fishless cycling and will tell you everything you need to know to get started. Definitely buy the API Master liquid test kit; it's a bit more pricey than the strips (around $30) but it'll last a long time and it's a lot more accurate.

Good luck!

Its got a special row of bulbs to make the glofish that they think you should put in there look nice. Flourescent and black light.

I only had the algae eater in the tank. I think they are cool and wanted to add him first since you should only add a few fish at a time. I read somewhere that petco had the dollar per gallon sale going on so I might stop there and see if that is actually true. Should I worry about starting over with the 3.5 gallon tank since the fish was sick. I read somewhere that you can clean it with vinegar. Another random question that I haven't gotten an aswer to. Do I need a filter and an aertor.

Yes clean it with vinegar or a concentration of bleach and water. As for air stone it's optional... As for filter that's a yes! There are different options such as canister and HOB and many others as well:)

I only had the algae eater in the tank. I think they are cool and wanted to add him first since you should only add a few fish at a time. I read somewhere that petco had the dollar per gallon sale going on so I might stop there and see if that is actually true. Should I worry about starting over with the 3.5 gallon tank since the fish was sick. I read somewhere that you can clean it with vinegar. Another random question that I haven't gotten an aswer to. Do I need a filter and an aertor.

Algae eaters are tough; usually they're best added to a well-established tank with algae for them to feed on. Of course the pet stores won't tell you this. :( It's also possible the fish was just sick from the start and you got a bad one.

As a precaution you could clean it out. Vinegar is OK to use I think; some also use a very weak bleach solution to clean tanks and then rinse the dickens out of it and let it air dry. You should have a filter on both tanks, yes. You don't NEED an aerator, especially if your filters cause good surface movement and water agitation, but you can still use an aerator, especially on the 20. I have one even though I have three filters and the water gets moved around a good bit just because I like the look of the bubbles. lol

While the tanks are cycling you'll have time to research some other fish stores. Make a list of ones in your area and every weekend go to one or two. Check out their fish, talk to the employees. Make sure the fish are swimming OK, no signs of white spots (ich) or other diseases, etc. After a while you'll be able to tell good ones from bad ones. Also a lot of members here sell fish and others have had good experiences. Severum Mama and HN1 are two sellers on here who sell superb healthy fish (having fish shipped to you might seem odd at first but lots of people do it and it seems to work fine).

Back
Top Bottom