First Fish!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyGeeze

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi AA !

Sooo before I get ahead of myself, my first tank is still cycling ...BUT.... I'm so anxious to get fish I've been non stop trying to decide where to start! Although there are dozens of types of fish I'd love to keep, i guess I have to narrow my choices down :(

For inexperience reasons, and as a place to start, I will more than likely setup a mix barb tank with tigers and green tigers and maybe some black rubys (I'm a sucker for the tiger stripes!). I also would like some kuhli loaches for the bottom. I may possibly get a BN pleco as well (i wish i could keep adding more fish!). I currently have a 46 gallon bow with live water sprite growing.

I guess my question is, does it matter which fish i get first? If I bought the loaches first is that OK? Should one get acclimated before adding the other? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Hey Joey.

If you are inexperienced you may want to reconsider what you want to stock. I have Tiger Barbs in a 37g with some other SA and they have been known to nip. Tiger Barbs are usually fin-nippers unless you get a school of at least 6.

But really I wouldn't go stocking much of anything until your tank is cycled. Patience is a big part of keeping fish, and waiting for tanks to cycle can be really hard.

There are plenty of tropical community fish that would look great if you have some plants in the tank. My 150g planted tank is community fish and it's looking great.

Whichever way you go, just be careful and make sure you do your research!(y)

Oh definitely, I have been researching for a long time now. I figured barbs were a good place to begin, are they not? The reason I was going to stick with just barbs was because I've actually seen them be quite aggressive fin nippers. I would definitely keep a school of more than six.

I'm still waiting for my tank to cycle so I can't add anything yet but I just wanted to get an idea so I was prepared.

Thanks!

Oh definitely, I have been researching for a long time now. I figured barbs were a good place to begin, are they not? The reason I was going to stick with just barbs was because I've actually seen them be quite aggressive fin nippers. I would definitely keep a school of more than six.

I'm still waiting for my tank to cycle so I can't add anything yet but I just wanted to get an idea so I was prepared.

Thanks!

I wouldn't agree either way. If you know what you are getting into then I'm sure nothing will be a surprise. So I'd say you could get Barbs. I've heard other colors aren't as aggressive? But i'm not sure how accurate that is.

I'd add the BN last just so some algae builds up to help it's diet.

The rubies aren't as aggressive but can hold their own with the tigers.

I like the idea of greens, rubies, tigers and albino tigers. That would give you a good range of colors.

Cherry barbs and rosie barbs are cool fish also, I have kept with tigers no problems. They are also less nippy IME. Adds another color to a schooling mix as well.

Yea I'd like to get a good mixture of colors and activity going on, the barbs should definitely make that happen.

Any opinion on adding the loaches or barbs first? I wasn't sure if one needed to be acclimated before the others arrived. Thanks!!

if you are cycling your tank up to 4ppm of ammonia then I think you should get all your fish (or most of them) at once and put them in. you may want to wait on the pleco, but all the others I would put in. if you wait too long then all the good bacteria that you have been growing will die off and then have to regrow them. at least that is my understanding of how this all works. I thought I read where you can add 75-90% of your stock right away.

Back
Top Bottom