First Nano Reef! Joey's Fluval Spec V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really looking into the goby shrimp pair

Just so you know, the shrimp gobies will hide a large majority of the time... If you want something that will be out more, stick with the yellow clown goby or something like a firefish... The green clown gobies are cool looking too, but a little smaller and less active than the yellow, from what I've seen. I've got a yellow watchman who only comes out to eat. I catch him posted up once in a while, but when I approach the tank it's back in its cave.

If you want even less trouble, focus on coral and don't have any fish at all... :hide:

Great to know! Thanks a lot. Should I just use rubble rock in the main compartment with the chemi pure and a polishing pad instead if the foam and everything that comes with it? Do you have any photos? This weekend I should be able to pick up the tank. I'm gonna need a stand for it too. It will be by my bed so I'm thinking one of the cheap ones from Petsmart.

image-220870942.jpg

And I also use filter floss on top

. Just so you know, the shrimp gobies will hide a large majority of the time... If you want something that will be out more, stick with the yellow clown goby or something like a firefish... The green clown gobies are cool looking too, but a little smaller and less active than the yellow, from what I've seen. I've got a yellow watchman who only comes out to eat. I catch him posted up once in a while, but when I approach the tank it's back in its cave. If you want even less trouble, focus on coral and don't have any fish at all... :hide:

I may end up not keeping any fish at all and just inverts. Coral is the real reason for venturing into this.

I would personally look into the nuvo nano 8g tank if your dead set on a nano reef. They have good filtration and are extremely high quality tanks.

I would personally look into the nuvo nano 8g tank if your dead set on a nano reef. They have good filtration and are extremely high quality tanks.

I would, but I don't have the money for it. I've seen sucessful specs that's why I decided on this. I would if I could. Haha

Small and minor update but I got the tank today.
Also, I'm thinking of running a Biocube protein skimmer just to better my chances starting out. They have relatively good reveiw on amazon and RC, so I think I'm gonna try it out for 25$. Hopefully I can fit in in the second compartment of the spec. If not, I'll just put the heater in the display and hide it discreetly. Should I do a black background?

thought you would like this its only temporary until my 75 is cycled, i tore down my 29 reef to make room for the 75 today and moved my coral to the spec v for now.

have you decided on which par 38 bulb you will use? I'm debating actually keeping this a nano reef and will follow along on your progress

thought you would like this http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/a...0-4BA3-BB31-FE63238EE077_zpspid51sct.jpg.html its only temporary until my 75 is cycled, i tore down my 29 reef to make room for the 75 today and moved my coral to the spec v for now. have you decided on which par 38 bulb you will use? I'm debating actually keeping this a nano reef and will follow along on your progress
I haven't decided on which PAR 38. If I got an Ecoxotic how would I mount it? The Reefbreeders comes with a gooseneck.

Edit: that's awsome! You should keep it so we can talk about them. Lol.

I think I'm going to go with a Reef Octopus NS80 hang on skimmer. I think that with this, Chemipure, purigen, and weekly waterchanges I should be able to keep all parameters perfect and avoid any nuisance algae.

I haven't decided on which PAR 38. If I got an Ecoxotic how would I mount it? The Reefbreeders comes with a gooseneck. Edit: that's awsome! You should keep it so we can talk about them. Lol.

well i think i will probably just buy a lamp for it or build a cheap gooseneck to mount it. from what I've been reading, goosenecks are the way to go with mounting par 38s, but they are just too expensive for this small of a tank imo.

I thought about a zoomed stand to mount one but I need the socket for it though.

Back
Top Bottom