First nano tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Audiew

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I'm looking to start a new nano tank. I have had a 55 gallon cichlid tank for a couple years and think I'm ready to get into the saltwater world. I have been looking at the oceanic biocube 29 hqi and wanted some opinions on it and any other advise would be great as well as to getting started.
Thanks!

Welcome. I love my biocube. I don't have the HQI model but I think it's great. The only neg I have heard about that model is the lights make the water get hot and you might need a chiller. But I believe they are a great choice. I know there will be other people that will jump in as well. Ask anything there are nice people to help and good luck

Don't know about the hqi, but I have the nano-601-led professional and have been extremely happy. From what I know the filter is the same and I believe it is an extremely efficient system with the option for upgrades such as refugiums and skimmers.

The difference between the two is the LEDs do not heat the water and are more efficient in the life spans category. However, hqi is tested and true, and as long as you can keep the water temp down, you can grow and amazing reef!

Good to hear it is a good system! Is there LED replacements for the light? Also what's some great coral and fish that would thrive in one? I like clown's, and don't really know much about coral. However mushrooms seem pretty cool

Well if you go with the HQI then technically you could have most any coral. Those lights are good enough for just about Everything. Just make sure that you research. Check this site out it is a great site with info on just about anything you could want to know about different fish and corals. Also it will give you minimum tank requirements.

www.liveaquaria.com

And read, read , read and then ask.

Yea I Was just wondering about the lights because I have noticed some people saying it can get a little hot. I will look at that site for sure thank you very much

No problem. That's what I have heard about the lights. I have the regular lights which are good for me cause I am not going to get into SPS corals. There are a lot of mods that you can do as well to make the tank even better. I removed the false floors and ordered a media basket to put in chamber two instead of the bio balls.

So after looking at the website I have sort of figured out what I would like for fish. Clown's, Goby's, and maybe a damsel or two. I obviously don't want to overstock. What would be a good CUC, and coral to add? I looked at coral but with so many variations I would like to have some low, medium, and high in the tank just to even it out

You can get an led hood, however this is a 400$ hood. The LEDs in this hood can grow just about anything including sps. Again consider the 400$ hood cost tho. A chiller may only run you 150+ even if you need it for the halides. You may not even need one.

Ibrahim said:
There are also LED panels that are only $160 that you can add to your tank and grow anything.

Can you tell us what ones you are talking about please. I am looking into it in a few months

Audiew said:
So after looking at the website I have sort of figured out what I would like for fish. Clown's, Goby's, and maybe a damsel or two. I obviously don't want to overstock. What would be a good CUC, and coral to add? I looked at coral but with so many variations I would like to have some low, medium, and high in the tank just to even it out

I would only go with one damsel if any. They are known to be bullies and will fight each other. Just a thought. Also as far as cleaner crews go here is a site to check out for ideas.

http://www.reefcleaners.org/index.p...ategory_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

Those are for a 29 but you can look around the site under the store tab and pick with hermit crabs and whatnot depending on your likes

Thanks do much you all are all a big help. I plan on ordering the tank later this week!

I like the metal halides, but yes they do get hot! I keep my hood slightly open with mini clamps to allow air flow between the water and the light. Works for me..

Crystal A said:
I like the metal halides, but yes they do get hot! I keep my hood slightly open with mini clamps to allow air flow between the water and the light. Works for me..

Sounds like evaporation would be a problem with heat over the water and the hood open. LEDs just seem like the way to go. Unfortunately they are just so darn expensive!

Back
Top Bottom