First nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that's who I don't have any turbos. They get huge too!! Sorry to hear about your rock troubles.

It's okay. Live and learn. :) I just gave them to my brother. It's nice to have someone to swap things with! Lol. I just took him the finger corals out of my nano because my lights weren't good enough and I didn't want them to die.

I woke up this morning to both of my clown fish on the bottom of the tank. Doing a 50% water change now. Parameters are ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 20 ppm. (6:27 am)

Edit: They already seem much more active after the water change. Do you think it was my nitrate level or were they just sleeping? My initial reaction was to mildly flip out, test the water, then do the pwc. Was it the right thing to do or should I have waited? (6:55 am)

My guess is they were just sleeping. Clowns are weird. Nitrates of 20 isn't lethal. Anything under 40 ppm for nitrates isn't lethal; only over 40 is dangerous. Of course, closer to zero is better. Better to err on the side of caution, though, when you're flipping out. Never hurts to do a pwc. :)

My guess is they were just sleeping. Clowns are weird. Nitrates of 20 isn't lethal. Anything under 40 ppm for nitrates isn't lethal; only over 40 is dangerous. Of course, closer to zero is better. Better to err on the side of caution, though, when you're flipping out. Never hurts to do a pwc. :)

Okay. Thanks Beengirl! I was hoping they were just being goofy. Lol. I try to keep my nitrates at 0 or 10, so it made me uncomfortable. I'm glad to know where the threat level is now. :)

Here's a picture of my tank today. :)

img_2326539_0_1ca84367e9fca31cb6b962cb1835c4c1.jpg

Nice tank, I read through the entire thread and it was cool to see the progress.

I'm interested in adding another tank and it being a FOWLR setup, so I had some questions to your success thus far.

-What type of water did/do you use for setup/water changes?
-Do you pre-heat or circulate water with pump/powerhead for the water changes?
-What type of salt mix do you use?
-What do you have in your HOB filter? Standard media or custom?

Nice tank, I read through the entire thread and it was cool to see the progress.

I'm interested in adding another tank and it being a FOWLR setup, so I had some questions to your success thus far.

-What type of water did/do you use for setup/water changes?
-Do you pre-heat or circulate water with pump/powerhead for the water changes?
-What type of salt mix do you use?
-What do you have in your HOB filter? Standard media or custom?

Thanks for the compliments! :) I always buy premixed saltwater from my local fish store. My brother has an RO filter system and that's where I get my water for top off, as top offs are done with fresh water. The water at the store has pumps and filters in it and it goes from there into my tank. I have a 55 gallon reef in the cycling stages. I used instant ocean Reef Crysals to mix that water. I mixed it in buckets before I put it in there. It's good to let the salt dissolve before putting it into the tank so you can ensure a proper salinity level, but I have nothing living in there so I mixed it in the tank. I do make sure the water is at least room temperature before adding it to the tank. I have a standard carbon filter in the HOB, which I'm wanting to switch to purigen. I've recently learned that the carbon will leech phosphates back into the tank. :)

Just looked through some old pictures this guy has grown a lot!!!

img_2337501_0_082226420ec33fbbd078e7a9138e594d.jpg

Hey guys. I think this next week might be the end of my 10 gallon nano. A little sad because it was my first SW. But I'm excited that everything living in there will get to go into my 55! :) and my corals will finally have T5 lighting. :) I thought about keeping it, but my lights are so much better in my other tank that I can't stand to let my corals live under a T8 and some compact fluorescents anymore when I have a much better setup for them.

This is the last post I'm going to make on this thread. At least for a while, anyway. Everything from this tank has been moved and acclimated into my 55 gallon! I have a thread for that tank and would love it if you'd follow along!

This is the last post I'm going to make on this thread. At least for a while, anyway. Everything from this tank has been moved and acclimated into my 55 gallon! I have a thread for that tank and would love it if you'd follow along!

You should put a link to it here so anybody reading can jump over and continue to follow. Just my $.02

:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom