First New Fish Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nat, heres what i feed each of my tanks and the fish ive got in them-

37g:
1 flame angel
1 valentini puffer
1 Purple fire fish pair
1 Starry blenny

Foods fed-
Emerald entree frozen- monday, wednsday.
Mysis shrimp- friday
Nori- sunday

20g:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 starry blenny

Foods fed-
Emerald entree frozen- every other day
Brine shrimp- every other day
NLS pellets- 2 pellets a week
Omega 1 shrimp pellet- once a week for the goby

3g pico:
Black clown goby

Foods fed-
Brine shrimp- fed daily

Also depends on what fish youve got, for instance a tang would need nori and other greens. (of course, you coudnt keep a tang in a 65g.

Nat, heres what i feed each of my tanks and the fish ive got in them-

37g:
1 flame angel
1 valentini puffer
1 Purple fire fish pair
1 Starry blenny

Foods fed-
Emerald entree frozen- monday, wednsday.
Mysis shrimp- friday
Nori- sunday

20g:
2 ocellaris clowns
1 yellow watchman goby
1 starry blenny

Foods fed-
Emerald entree frozen- every other day
Brine shrimp- every other day
NLS pellets- 2 pellets a week
Omega 1 shrimp pellet- once a week for the goby

3g pico:
Black clown goby

Foods fed-
Brine shrimp- fed daily

Also depends on what fish youve got, for instance a tang would need nori and other greens. (of course, you coudnt keep a tang in a 65g.

Thanks for all the great info ☺️ I'm planning to have
-3 chromis
-2 ocellaris clowns
-1 valentini puffer
-1spot Foxface
-maybe coral beauty or flame angel
-urchins
-assorted snails

As i said, it starts building up after 30mins.

But if I take him out of the bag after 40 minutes and into a tank without a huge build up of ammonia, why would he die in the tank and not the bag?

But if I take him out of the bag after 40 minutes and into a tank without a huge build up of ammonia, why would he die in the tank and not the bag?

He has to adjust to the tank, add ammonia into the equation and boom... Youve got a dead fish.

He has to adjust to the tank, add ammonia into the equation and boom... Youve got a dead fish.

The fish is dying already. I have no idea what's happening and I don't want to get any more if they keep on dying for the animals sake. :( ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are all zero. ph is 8.0 and salinity is 1.023 everything is perfect but all of the chromis keep dying :( this one only lasted for 3 hours and he is currently laying on his side struggling to breath :(

This is very odd...sounds like he is being poisoned (oil seal break) but I'm no pro!
May be mr X will chime in, he seems to know a heck of a lot about SW fish

The temperature is 80 degrees Fahrenheit is this too hot?

1 hours still would be enough to build up a high enough amount of ammonia.

Maybe get 3 more chromis and only drip for 20 minutes. See how that goes? Or maybe 1 as a test.

Ammonia doesn't build up nearly that quickly in water. The fish waste needs time to break down before it gets converted into ammonia. I am absolutely positive that it's not an ammonia spike in the bag.

Have you tested the parameters of the LFS water?
What is your source water?
Have you checked for chloramines? (normal ro/di doesn't remove them)

Ammonia doesn't build up nearly that quickly in water. The fish waste needs time to break down before it gets converted into ammonia. I am absolutely positive that it's not an ammonia spike in the bag.

Have you tested the parameters of the LFS water?

What is your source water?

Have you checked for chloramines? (normal ro/di doesn't remove them)

I get already prepared water from the lfs that many other people use as well so I know that the water is not contaminated with heavy metals and such. Ammonia/nitrites/nitrates all zero, Ph is 8.0, and salinity is 1.023. Temp is 80 degrees Fahrenheit

This is very odd...sounds like he is being poisoned (oil seal break) but I'm no pro!
May be mr X will chime in, he seems to know a heck of a lot about SW fish

Maybe he is... I always make sure my hands are clean when I wash my hands and everything.

I used windex to clean the outside glass but I sprayed it on the paper and am 100% sure none got inside

The only thing I can think of is the PVC glue used for the pipes

I used windex to clean the outside glass but I sprayed it on the paper and am 100% sure none got inside

Thats an ammonia based chemical. A trick i do thats great is i use a spray bottle with ro water and spray the glass, and then wipe it down with a squegie.

Back
Top Bottom