First Planted/Invert Tank (CPO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woolly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For about a week now I've been setting up my first Invert focused tank, it'll be the first tank that I've ever set up that had any inverts at all so I'm pretty excited.

Its the Fluval 7.9 gal aquatic plant kit. It is currently only loaded up with a few Amazon swords which are doing well.

Some time this week I'm going to be getting a pair of CPOs and I'm probably being overly cautious but I'd rather ask more experienced people advice than just ransacking google for answers.

So here goes:

Are there any invert safe fertilizers I can use? I currenty have the Nutrafin Plant Gro and sources have said thus far that that the trace amounts of copper shouldn't be worried about as long as I use it sparingly.

Suggested tank mates? I would go with RCS but they are just way too expensive in my area as they have to be brought in special and there is only one store which deals with them. Snails? Tetras? Perhaps something interesting that I would have never of thought of?

Is there such thing as having too many plants? and will this hinder inverts? Suggested invert friendly plants as well would be nice.

Lastly, and probably the most annoying conflicting thing I've been researching.. what sorts of rocks are safe. I'm a bit of a rock/fossil hound and I'd love to make the tank full of them but I've been finding out that many of the semiprecious stones and fossils are damaging to inverts. So as a general rule which stones are just a sure thing in an invert tank so I can give my crays nice hiding spots without relying resin ornaments.

Thanks in advance, and any random extra bits of info you can throw at me will also be appreciated. I'm only used to basic fish tanks, so plants and inverts are a mystery to me.

For about a week now I've been setting up my first Invert focused tank, it'll be the first tank that I've ever set up that had any inverts at all so I'm pretty excited.

Its the Fluval 7.9 gal aquatic plant kit. It is currently only loaded up with a few Amazon swords which are doing well.

Some time this week I'm going to be getting a pair of CPOs and I'm probably being overly cautious but I'd rather ask more experienced people advice than just ransacking google for answers.

So here goes:

Are there any invert safe fertilizers I can use? I currenty have the Nutrafin Plant Gro and sources have said thus far that that the trace amounts of copper shouldn't be worried about as long as I use it sparingly.

Suggested tank mates? I would go with RCS but they are just way too expensive in my area as they have to be brought in special and there is only one store which deals with them. Snails? Tetras? Perhaps something interesting that I would have never of thought of?

Is there such thing as having too many plants? and will this hinder inverts? Suggested invert friendly plants as well would be nice.

Lastly, and probably the most annoying conflicting thing I've been researching.. what sorts of rocks are safe. I'm a bit of a rock/fossil hound and I'd love to make the tank full of them but I've been finding out that many of the semiprecious stones and fossils are damaging to inverts. So as a general rule which stones are just a sure thing in an invert tank so I can give my crays nice hiding spots without relying resin ornaments.

Thanks in advance, and any random extra bits of info you can throw at me will also be appreciated. I'm only used to basic fish tanks, so plants and inverts are a mystery to me.

Most plant ferts are safe. Inverts actually need trace amounts of cooper believe it or not. When you dose keep an eye on how they react. Your swords will get huge. Eventually I would look into a smaller type of sword for that tank. I will always say the more plants the better. :)

In a tank that size I would reccomend only a few fish. Nothing that gets too big. Maybe a male guppy or two.. or CPDs. Nano fish would be great choices.

Sorry I can't be of help with the rocks!

Thanks for getting back to me. I've pretty much discovered that my Nutrafin Plant Gro if dosed lightly (once a week) or so should be fine. At least that's the info I'm getting elsewhere.

Rocks - I have finally found some good resources for and i'll probably be going with some natural slate tiles and break them up to suit my purposes.

I'm thinking fewer fish now as well. Ideally I'd like 2 CPOs, a few micro fish (tetras) or non-schoolers it doesn't matter as long as they are small and have some nice coloring.. and a single betta or a bigger fish.. If I could get away with 4 fish, and the 2 inverts I would really like that.

I'm just having trouble picking, although I am set on the Betta now.. sort of :p

Here is a quick question concerning CPOs and Bettas and I am fairly certain I am getting both of those fairly soon.

What sort of hardness and Ph am I looking at that will allow the fish and the inverts to live comfortably. I'd rather not push extremes.

Quite honestly both the cpo and betta are hardy enough to adapt to whatever comes out of your tap unless it is on the far end of the scale. Do you know what your levels for it out the tap are?

Quite honestly both the cpo and betta are hardy enough to adapt to whatever comes out of your tap unless it is on the far end of the scale. Do you know what your levels for it out the tap are?

I have just been cycling, and dealing with plants this week. I misplaced my old test kit so I have a new one coming very soon. I've been holding off on critters until I get it so I can check the hardness and ph values.

I expect my treated tapwater is well within the acceptable norms and plan to only get the smaller fish after I establish the cray and betta. Until I get the kit though I'll be mostly dealing with plants and getting the tank growing nice.

Back
Top Bottom