First Planted Tank! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Found the Eco complete through petco. I don't normally shop there for my fish, but it's where I'm going to get the new tank and possibly some fish depending on availability in my area. (Petco is a little out of the way here.) I want a sand pit for my corries as well, will this sand work well jw? And do you put anything under or on top of the plant substrate (not including mixing in the clay), or just leave it as it be and that's all you need?

I think that works... I'm not sure how many bags to get. Ideally you want at least 2 to 3" of substrate depth. I like to create slopes toward the back corners to add dimension so possibly more EC might be needed. Maybe someone can chime in on quantity. The sand you won't need much of. I usually create sandy beaches or rivers in my scapes. It just becomes tedious to keep the black substrate off the sand... but it's a labor of love!

With EC there's no need to mix in clay (laterite). It already has some trace elements and a high CEC, which means it is highly porous and can absorb nutrients to release it back to rooted plants. However, EC can use a little boost IMO fresh out of the bag... when I first layout the substrate, I place root tabs (I prefer Flourish Tabs) throughout, evenly spaced in the substrate.

For fertilizer, you should get a bottle of Seachem Flourish and a bottle of Seachem Excel to start. This is a well rounded dosing regimen to start for beginners. Later, you can learn about dosing dry ferts, which will save you money.

Haha oops again on the ribbon plant xD and alright. I'll look at that one a little more, thank you Brian.

Now, this is my hood, is that light and this going to work? I haven't looked yet.

Is that hood something you buy separately? Or does it come as a kit with the tank? If separate, I'd get an all glass versa top instead to accommodate better lighting options.

Is that hood something you buy separately? Or does it come as a kit with the tank? If separate, I'd get an all glass versa top instead to accommodate better lighting options.

Separately. And I'm not sure what that is- never heard of it. But I'm pretty sure this is what I want to get.

Well for your current plant list a Finnex Fugeray would be enough for low light plants... The Finnex Ray 2 for moderate lighting on a 40g. These are LED fixtures which would definitely be efficient without the need to replace bulbs as you would in a T5 fixture.

I agree completely. I use the ray 2 it's more of a moderate to high light fixture, but you could always raise it up higher. Also I don't think this is available yet, but I read on another popular forum that finnex will have a fugeray planted version with RBG LEDs also for better color (that way it's similar to the monster ray from finnex) I love my LEDs and would absolutely recommend them.

I agree completely. I use the ray 2 it's more of a moderate to high light fixture, but you could always raise it up higher. Also I don't think this is available yet, but I read on another popular forum that finnex will have a fugeray planted version with RBG LEDs also for better color (that way it's similar to the monster ray from finnex) I love my LEDs and would absolutely recommend them.

Ahhh... yes, their planted light... it's not RGB, but has separate LEDs for reds and blues... interesting but it will cost more than the regular Fugeray.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=338114

Found the Eco complete through petco. I don't normally shop there for my fish, but it's where I'm going to get the new tank and possibly some fish depending on availability in my area. (Petco is a little out of the way here.) I want a sand pit for my corries as well, will this sand work well jw? And do you put anything under or on top of the plant substrate (not including mixing in the clay), or just leave it as it be and that's all you need?

If you get sand remember to wash it. Also, the CFLs (Compact Fluorescence Lights) bulb you put up I do not recommend with a 40 gallon breeder. I would recommend a typically lighting ballast that you can get at home depot or something. I would try to get a ballast that would fit T8's or smaller, the T represents the diameter of the bulb meaning T12 the biggest with T2's the smallest.

I'm not totally against the light you all are suggesting I promise, but I just want to see every option :p this??

Attachments

• image-488339186.jpg
    image-488339186.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 59
I'm not totally against the light you all are suggesting I promise, but I just want to see every option :p this??

It wouldn't be a bad choice. Ideally you want 6500K light, the spectrum it gives is much better for plants. If you can't get that you want to get as close as possible. I am using 5000K CFL's for my 10 gallon and they are working great. Before you purchase, check to see what size they are as it does not say. You will need a ballast to fit the bulbs. If they are T8's, you need to go and get a ballast for T8 bulbs and also need to make sure the length of the bulbs will fit into the fixture.

This is what I went out and got recently for my tank: Light Fixtures | Coralife Marine & Freshwater Aquarium Supplies
I got the T5HO dual fixture (without lunar lights). It allows 39W bulbs to be used which is plenty for what I need and they are T5HO, so as long as the bulbs at T5HO, they will work (as long as the bulbs are not longer that the ballast). It comes with 10,000K and actinic bulbs which are good for SW tanks but you can change them out (which what I will be doing).

I have been doing dirted tanks for many years and do not recommend them for newbies to planted tanks. I've seen the video's you mentioned and there is a lot of info that isn't covered in those video's.

I have been doing dirted tanks for many years and do not recommend them for newbies to planted tanks. I've seen the video's you mentioned and there is a lot of info that isn't covered in those video's.

I probably wasn't gonna go there anyway:)

It wouldn't be a bad choice. Ideally you want 6500K light, the spectrum it gives is much better for plants. If you can't get that you want to get as close as possible.

Alright... This one looks good from what I've read /seen about it.

Attachments

• image-3465316830.jpg
    image-3465316830.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 51
Don't worry about bulbs until you have a light ballast. That is what the bulbs go into. Worry about purchasing a bulbs after you have the ballast. Once you know the type of ballast you know the type of bulbs to get. Again, with Fluorescent Bulbs, CFLs are too small for a 40 breeder, LEDs would be great but make sure you have something to hold it up as many are not made for the length tank you have or the proper light spectrum (and are expensive). You can try Home Depot or Lowes to see if they have a ballast for the length you have but I had no luck with that. I just showed you what I purchased at my LFS 2 weeks ago (I know I'm slow but fish tank is on the bottom of totem pole right now). Rivercat has recommended good light bulbs in the past, Guienes.....something or other (I have to take a look again :)) that work with him/her with their plants. I plan on getting same or similar depending on cost.

Isn't' the ballast the box that is connected to the power cord that regulates power? I think you mean fixture.. choosing the right fixture and then bulbs would be a proper order of things. If LED is out of the question due to cost restraints, you can get a decent T5HO fixture for cheap. I believe Odyssea makes some decent T5HO fixtures that come with bulbs already. They're usually sold at aquatraders.com but for some reason, their site has been down. Then when the time comes, replace the bulbs with giesemann midday bulbs... giesemann bulbs are the ones Rivercats recommends I believe :)

Edit: Fishneedit.com sells some inexpensive t5ho too. You would need to ask for all daylight bulbs though (don't get actinic).
http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-3ft--2lamp-aquarium-light.html

Isn't' the ballast the box that is connected to the power cord that regulates power? I think you mean fixture.. choosing the right fixture and then bulbs would be a proper order of things. If LED is out of the question due to cost restraints, you can get a decent T5HO fixture for cheap. I believe Odyssea makes some decent T5HO fixtures that come with bulbs already. They're usually sold at aquatraders.com but for some reason, their site has been down. Then when the time comes, replace the bulbs with giesemann midday bulbs... giesemann bulbs are the ones Rivercats recommends I believe :)

Edit: Fishneedit.com sells some inexpensive t5ho too. You would need to ask for all daylight bulbs though (don't get actinic).
http://www.fishneedit.com/t5ho-3ft--2lamp-aquarium-light.html

Yea, sometimes I can't think after work....

Oh gosh xD this whole lighting thing is going to be the end of me. You've all been beyond helpful, don't get me wrong, but I'm so lost.

Sorry to make things confusing... Its a matter of preference really. Some hobbyist love LED, some t5ho,, etc. there's so many ways to do things its just a matter of researching and determining what's best for you based on your needs and budget restraints. I'm sticking to my guns with the Fugeray based on the plants you mentioned and dimensions. It's slightly over the budget, but marginally...

Check out this thread...lots of happy owners of finnex ray 2's and fugerays...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192916

Otherwise, the aforementioned t5ho fixtures would work too.

Sorry to make things confusing... Its a matter of preference really. Some hobbyist love LED, some t5ho,, etc. there's so many ways to do things its just a matter of researching and determining what's best for you based on your needs and budget restraints. I'm sticking to my guns with the Fugeray based on the plants you mentioned and dimensions. It's slightly over the budget, but marginally...

Check out this thread...lots of happy owners of finnex ray 2's and fugerays...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192916

Otherwise, the aforementioned t5ho fixtures would work too.

Thank you very much:) I'm going to spend some more time trying to figure out aquarium lighting and doing research. I'm probably going to end up going to a few stores and asking, things always seem clearer that way to me.

Back
Top Bottom