First planted tank-Need help ahh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeminiPrincess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Currently cycling 26 gallon bow front with 18W lighting
3 large Amazon Swords
2 Small Anubias?
2 Long Fin Zebra Danios
26 Gallons
30lbs Natural Gravel
Emperor 400 filter w/ carbon
Temp: 78

Using:
Stress Zyme
Leaf Zone

Ok, so this is my first planted tank and i went to a reputable fish store here in houston - Coolest store i have ever been in. I currently have very low lighting but am planning to upgrade within the month to a 65W Aqualight. Which will leave me in the moderate range with 2.5wpg. Anyways, I have natural gravel atm and am using API Leaf Zone. I have been doing a little research on aquarium plants and most say they need special substrate. I was looking at some substrate but it all looks mainly like dirt so if i were to add it to the tank it would be very cloudy if i wernt to drain the tank completely. Is this the case? If not i found some substrate that looks more like gravel by API...would this work? How much would i need to mix in with my gravel? I am very confused! Thanks!

You really don't need special substrate for your plants. The anubias grow best when attached to wood or rocks so that the rhizome isn't buried. Otherwise it will rot.

For the swords, just get some root feeder tablets. Just follow the packaging directions and things will be fine.

You really don't need special substrate for your plants. The anubias grow best when attached to wood or rocks so that the rhizome isn't buried. Otherwise it will rot.

For the swords, just get some root feeder tablets. Just follow the packaging directions and things will be fine.

ok thanks, one of the small anubias came on a rock one did not, how would i go about attaching it to a rock and what type of rock should i use? Also i was thinking about getting some Limnophila ‘hippuroides’ (Limnophila hippuroides) after i upgrade my lighting. What would be needed for them?

I use cotton thread, rubber bands and fishing line to attach my anubias to things. You can attach them to any rock that isn't smooth. Those polished looking river rocks aren't good for the roots to hold on to. I tried. Epic fail. What I use if I'm doing rocks is the plain river rocks that you can get at a landscaping company for really cheap, even lava rock. The roots grow into the rock so it attaches quite well.

I was considering the Limnophila hippuroides for my river tank when I get working on it. I'm still researching.

I use cotton thread, rubber bands and fishing line to attach my anubias to things. You can attach them to any rock that isn't smooth. Those polished looking river rocks aren't good for the roots to hold on to. I tried. Epic fail. What I use if I'm doing rocks is the plain river rocks that you can get at a landscaping company for really cheap, even lava rock. The roots grow into the rock so it attaches quite well.

I was considering the Limnophila hippuroides for my river tank when I get working on it. I'm still researching.

So any old rock will do that has texture to it? That seems to easy compared to everything else with my tank lol. How long do you think my plants will make it before they die from my lack of light?

Not "any old rock" will do. Some rocks can alter the water chemistry. That's why I use the plain river rock or lava rock. I know those 2 are very safe. Best way to check the safety of a rock is pour vinegar on it. If it bubbles, it's no good for the tank. Or, place it in water and do a continual water check for pH.

Does your tank have the stock light bulb in it for now? Figure out what size bulb it is, length wise, or just take it to a hardware store. Tell the employee there that you need that size bulb as a Daylight bulb 6500k. Don't let them try to talk you into any other kind. That would work until you get your new lighting. On our tanks that still have stock lighting that's what we did.

Not "any old rock" will do. Some rocks can alter the water chemistry. That's why I use the plain river rock or lava rock. I know those 2 are very safe. Best way to check the safety of a rock is pour vinegar on it. If it bubbles, it's no good for the tank. Or, place it in water and do a continual water check for pH.

Does your tank have the stock light bulb in it for now? Figure out what size bulb it is, length wise, or just take it to a hardware store. Tell the employee there that you need that size bulb as a Daylight bulb 6500k. Don't let them try to talk you into any other kind. That would work until you get your new lighting. On our tanks that still have stock lighting that's what we did.

I'll try the vinegar trick before i put any rock in my tank - thanks! ATM i have 18" 15W 8000k bulb in my tank. I am selling my old tank and supplies today so i will be upgrading my lighting within the next week or two depending on shipping. My son's 10 gallon has 2 50/50 bulbs in it putting that at 2wpg. He has 3 small swords and we were going to look at other plants today. I am going to get some of those flourish tabs for the swords too. Would the 24" Aqualight - single strip be good for my tank? That would put 2.5wpg on my 26gallon.

Ok now i am really confused...I just went and talked to the plant expert at the reputable fish store in houston and he said 2.5 wpg is still low lighting and not to get compact florescent. I said to get either HQI or 4 bulb T5. That is over twice as much as i can spend atm. What should i do?

He also said my plants wont grow without substrate.

Back
Top Bottom