First planted tank... Questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TomStav

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am setting up a 10G tank and need some advice. The tank is going to be home to two small lion head goldfish, and so will be kept at room temp around 70 degrees.

I have yet to buy a light and would like to put a clamp style light as I'm keeping the tank topless.

I have an inch or so of organic potting soil that I will be covering with an inch of large grain sand.

I just have no idea what types of plants would suit this tank best and would be very grateful for any advice or tips!

Thanks!

Umm... Hate to break it to you... But goldfish need 20 gallon tanks. 1. They grow too big, and 2. They have a HUGE bioload. Once your done fishless cycling, I'd go with a school of neon tetras and/or a Betta. You need more soil. 2.5 to 3 inches deep is required for plants.

I do agree that a 10g tank is not appropriate for goldfish. Goldfish are also known to eat most plants, with the exception of a few. Generally, goldfish and lush planted tanks don't go together

Hi thanks for the reply. I already have the goldfish in another tank and as they are still small I only plan on having them in here for a year or so and then I will get a larger tank to accommodate their growth. I have a 55G waiting for them. I will add more soil (luckily I haven't added the sand yet). Are their any plants that they wouldn't destroy? I don't mind them munching on them somewhat.

Also I plan on a fish less cycle and have a filter that turns over the 10G every 15 minutes and may add a canister filter in addition once I get it running.

I would also advise against even starting the goldfish out in a 10g. Too often the best-laid plans to upgrade tanks later fall through.

Anubias, java ferns, java moss, and some swords are usually safe from herbivorous fish.

I'm hoping the filter data is a misprint. A 4x turnover rate isn't good for much, especially on an overstocked 10g with particularly messy fish. If you're dead set on keeping these fish in this tank, aim for an 8x - 10x turnover rate.

BigJim said:
I would also advise against even starting the goldfish out in a 10g. Too often the best-laid plans to upgrade tanks later fall through.

Anubias, java ferns, java moss, and some swords are usually safe from herbivorous fish.

I'm hoping the filter data is a misprint. A 4x turnover rate isn't good for much, especially on an overstocked 10g with particularly messy fish. If you're dead set on keeping these fish in this tank, aim for an 8x - 10x turnover rate.

Hi it is a mistake the marineland hob filter is rated at 100G/ hr.. 10x turnover rate. My mistake.

My only problem is that these are my girlfriends goldfish and I am constantly trying to get them a larger tank, but as we have a 75G sw and 30G tropical fw in a small apartment, my girlfriend is not so enthusiastic about the idea! But I have an empty 55G and we are moving to a larger place within 8 months and WILL move them to a larger tank then.

I think for the time being I will leave the tank as a bear bottom with a couple of rocks to give them the most possible room.

I appreciate your advice and understand that 10G is not enough but will have to suffice for a little while.

Thanks to all!

I'm glad to hear that you've at least got a future tank in your possession. I've seen too many people start with things like bala sharks in their 10g with the intent to upgrade to a "huge tank" in the future.

BigJim said:
I'm glad to hear that you've at least got a future tank in your possession. I've seen too many people start with things like bala sharks in their 10g with the intent to upgrade to a "huge tank" in the future.

Tell me about it... My first mistake. You remember... Rainbow shark? Ya... Fun times... Lots of PWC's.

Back
Top Bottom