First planted tank...with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wood_Dog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I have been lurking around the planted forums for a while now and I have been inspired by some of the beautiful tanks I have seen.After much discussion with the minister for finance (my lovely wife ) I have decided to have a go. The tank is an Aquamode 600, 65 litres. It has been running for 3 weeks now. So far I dont have many fish....and I haven't started dosing yet. I'm not sure if i should since I don't have high lighting and won't be using CO2. The lfs has recommended using Flourish Excel...and I suppose thats what I'll do , I want the plants to thrive. Anyway, here's a few pics of how the tank is going so far

Attachments

• 100_1329_764.jpg
    100_1329_764.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_1332_161.jpg
    100_1332_161.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1333_172.jpg
    100_1333_172.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_1337_171.jpg
    100_1337_171.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 36
Wow! That looks really good! Great choice choice of plants and placement. Some driftwood would look good in there too...

Looking good Wooddog...I like the placement and the variety of plants you have. If you don't mind, could you post your tank parameters and light level?

You may need some root tabs, especially for the swords...maybe even some KNO3 to keep things in balance.

Nice looking tank. I love the lighting in the last shot. I do agree that some driftwood would look sharp in there.

Great job,very nice tank. Nicely balanced. Exel will definitely help keep the plants happy if your not going to inject CO2. I have two low light tanks, a 10 gallon and a 25, and use Exel in both with good results. Work up to full dosing with Exel slowly, don't overdose. I melted some crypts and vals in my 25 at first by putting to much in to fast. Vals are sensitive to Exel as it is, but both plants are fine with it now. I would cut the recommended dose in half for a week at first to give your plants a chance to get used to it, then if all is well, use it at full dose.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like it so far. I do have one piece of driftwood in there, but I will definately be getting more. My lfs has some nice pieces with anubias attached that I have my eye on.

The tank parameters are :

P.h = 7
Hardness=150
Ammonia=0
Nirtrite=0
Nitrate=0

The tank comes with two 11 watt pc, so by my calculations that should be around 1.2 WPG based on 65 litres being 17 gals. So yeah, low lighting....the lfs assures me it is enough but your ideas would be appreciated ,as upgrades are available and it wont take much to twist my arm.

I will also definately be getting the root tabs and dosing with Excel. Thanks so much for the advice. Thanks Glenc for the dosing recommendations. I will take it slow for the first week and work up to full dosing.

thanks again.

that's a really pretty lowlight tank! who says you need high light??? it will look great when the plants get some more growth on them.

nicely done!

First planted tank...with pics, New pics as of August 4

A couple of weeks on..been using Excel and CO2 with some good results I think. It's getting towards jungley but that's what I'm after. The tetras are having a ball

Attachments

• 100_1395_116.jpg
    100_1395_116.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_1396_116.jpg
    100_1396_116.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_1397_336.jpg
    100_1397_336.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 100_1399_162.jpg
    100_1399_162.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 27
Wow, that tank looks great! Your off to a fine start, the hook is in! Bets are on to see when you fire up tank #2!

hehe, that would be tank #3 and I would probably end up in the divorce courts lol. I already have a 55gal saltwater as well. But you're right..the hook is definatlely in. I would love to try a larger tank with medium to high lighting. I'll stick with this one for a while til I know what I'm doing.
Thanks for the comments :)

Dang! Very nice work Wood_Dog. I'm amazed at the growth you're getting under fairly low light. Please keep posting pictures as things progress :)

At first I would have recomended higher light but with that growth, no way! I still would add DIY CO2 but just to save a little money. How much excel you go through would determine if it would be cost effective. I spend about $8 on sugar and yeast a month for my 2 10 gallon tanks.

Very nice tank, a list of plants would be nice because I would love to have a tank that is that easy with low light.

That is a jewel of a tank-you have a real eye for it. I don't think it looks "jungle-y", I think it looks "lush", and I bet your fish do love you for it.

Well done!

Thanks all for your nice comments. I am really enjoying this tank and learning as I go, mostly from advice obtained here....so thanks again.

fish_4_all said:
I still would add DIY CO2 but just to save a little money.
Very nice tank, a list of plants would be nice because I would love to have a tank that is that easy with low light.

I have been using DIY CO2 for about two weeks now and it definately makes a huge difference.
I'm not good with plant names, thats one thing I really need to get better at...but I'll try
I have :
amazon sword
anubius
parrot feather
ludwigia
mauve stricta
some dwarf pondgrass (? thats what the LFS had written on it )
other grassy type thing ( yes that is the latin name :) )
rush
and some others I'm not too sure on.

Sorry ...from now on i am going to keep a log of what I buy, although the LFS uses common names mostly ,some of which I suspect they make up,lol

I abhor the practice of mis-identification, makes the hobby that much more difficult. I would say the dward "pondgrass" is more than likely dwarf sag. If it is, you will have fun "mowing" it as it has a tendency to grow fairly quickly in low-light.

I believe you have some sunset hygro in there. :)

Back
Top Bottom