First planted tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have black EcoComplete regular grain size by itself with no cap. I would be more worried about the cap substrate mixing with the EC while planting and moving things around.
Decide on your substrate and layout (driftwood, rocks, etc) now before getting your plants. It will give you an idea of how many plants to get.
The root supplements would probably benefit the val and Ludwigia.

I have black EcoComplete regular grain size by itself with no cap. I would be more worried about the cap substrate mixing with the EC while planting and moving things around.
Decide on your substrate and layout (driftwood, rocks, etc) now before getting your plants. It will give you an idea of how many plants to get.
The root supplements would probably benefit the val and Ludwigia.

That is a good point. I didn't think about the 2 mixing while trying to arrange everything. I guess, just straight eco-complete will work then with no gravel on top. It will probably give the tank a nice contrast too, so the fish and plants stand out more. I have the layout figured out already and I searched for the different plants to fill the spots I want filled. Thanks for the info on the root-tabs as well :)

No prob. Root tabs can get costly so I get the Aqua Fertz root pellets thru Aquariumplants.com. 3 different types: Total, Phosphate, and Iron. I believe the Phosphate pellet is the same as Total pellet but with extra phosphate (good for swords). Both are dosed every 30 days. Iron pellets dosed every 45 days. They also sell a nifty pellet injector tool; keeps your hands dry! They go for about $10 a bottle; 75 pellets per bottle.

Good idea. I don't want things to be more costly than they have to be. I have ordered a few plants from "planted aquariums central" (anybody have experience with them? )which should be here in a couple of days. SOO much cheaper than the local stores I went to, who wanted $20 for a single Java Fern!!!

3 Micro Sword
1 Anubias Nana Petite
1 Ludwigia Repens
1 Java Fern

Hopefully this will be enough to give my fish at least a little cover and something to play in. I will probably end up having to get more of the Anubias and maybe some more Java Fern and Ludwigia, but first I want to see how big they are, instead of adding too many from the start. Hopefully 3 pots of the Micro Sword will be enough to start a decent carpet going. I'm going to call Petco tomorrow to see if they have any Eco-Complete Planted substrate. I have found it online many places for $20 per 20lb bag, but the shipping is more than the substrate, so I'm looking to find it locally.

As far as changing my substrate goes... Since the tank is already cycled and has fish. How does this sound?... Syphon 75% of water into a plastic storage tote, add heater, filter, bubbles and fish. Put existing gravel in another container along with remaining water. Re-set tank how I want it, with new gravel, plants and rocks. Fill the tank with clean conditioned water. Place old substrate into pantyhose and set on the bottom of the tank. Let sit for a few hours then replace bubbles, filter, heater and fish. After a few days I will remove the makeshift bag of old substrate.

Does that seem like a good way to do it without removing beneficial bacteria? I don't want to cause any more stress to the fish than necessary. Also should I clean the tank while it is empty or should I leave the mulm at the bottom?

Just throwing out a recommendation. As for nutrients for the plants I would check out Brightwell Aquatics. They have a great line of anything and everything you would need. I see you want to use CO2 at some point. Do you currently use any of the Carbon in a bottle for the plants? From what I understand, the lead chemist or somebody at Kent had a falling out or was forced out and went and started his own company which is Brightwell Aquatics so I'm sure it is similar to Kent's but after using both and also Seachem at one point, I found the Brightwell to be far superior. I see somebody mentioning the use of phosphates, but if you're new to plants I'd watch out with that as if you overdose it or it is to high you could very easily have an algae outbreak. High levels of Phosphates and nitrates can lead to algae outbreaks.

Just throwing out a recommendation. As for nutrients for the plants I would check out Brightwell Aquatics. They have a great line of anything and everything you would need. I see you want to use CO2 at some point. Do you currently use any of the Carbon in a bottle for the plants? From what I understand, the lead chemist or somebody at Kent had a falling out or was forced out and went and started his own company which is Brightwell Aquatics so I'm sure it is similar to Kent's but after using both and also Seachem at one point, I found the Brightwell to be far superior. I see somebody mentioning the use of phosphates, but if you're new to plants I'd watch out with that as if you overdose it or it is to high you could very easily have an algae outbreak. High levels of Phosphates and nitrates can lead to algae outbreaks.

I am still not sure if I will ever be using CO2 in this tank. I don't currently use any Carbon in a bottle because my plants are still on the way and I don't even know if I am going to have enough light to take advantage of any CO2 additives. For now the only thing I have is API Leaf Zone, which only contains Iron and Potassium. I will be looking into additives soon to see what people with similar setups have tried and and take from their experiences. I will definitely look into Brightwell and read up on phosphate overdosing issues.

Back
Top Bottom