first reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

burf420

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so I've been thinking about starring areef tank for awhile now.i was gong to do it in my 40 gallon breeder. I'm looking for everyones best ideas I'm willing to take my time and build anything i have to i want it to look good.but i have no idea where to start first things first what do i need for equipment.definatly going with a sump

OK, so you are going sump, you are going to need high quality lighting, and skimmer. In your sump you probably want to set up a refugium.

You are going to need rock. Live rock, or dry rock, or DIY live rock. But you need it in the tank for biological filtration.

SRC

Ok cool thanks what is the tefugium for

Live rock about a pound a gallon give or take.

Refugium allows you to support/shelter life that would not go well in the display tank. Also you can fill it with macro algae and it will use the nitrate in the tank. Lower nitrate means less unwanted algae in display tank.

Thank you guys now how about the fun stuff.stocking ideas i would like a full fledged reef with corals and such and fish inverts etc.

Another question do you think a fluvsl 306 or 405 would be fine? Without a skimmer?

Another question do you think a fluvsl 306 or 405 would be fine? Without a skimmer?

I am running a PennPlax Cascade 1000. Wonderful on its own for a freshwater tank this size, but saltwater is a whole different game. Even with purigen I would say you still need a skimmer. I am removing about 1/2 a cup a day of nasty smelly skimate.

Alright so either way i need a skimmer cool beans

Yeah definitely go against the external filter and get yourself a decent skimmer.

You can do a refuge un but they're not 100% necessary. I'm doing one on my new tank for the same reasons stated before, to prevent nitrates creeping up, prevent algae growth in display and grow Copepods.

Have you thought about how you're going to monitor your parameters? If you're going for a heavy stock coral tank you might want to consider a calcium reactor. You could also manually dose. To start with on my tank I'm going to periodically test my water and do a water change every 5 days. This should do until I get more corals.

Yeah see thus is why i need help.i have no idea what a calcium rector is or Wyatt its for.s far as saltwater goes i know absolutely nothing

I have no reactors yet. Don't see a need yet. Probably has more to do with finicky SPS corals. It is easier to keep soft corals.

I think I would get a tank controller before getting a reactor.

SRC

Ebay. But when buying lights, u will always more then likely get what you pay for so dont skimp. Spend a few hundred at least.

**** i can't believe how much they are o well i think it'll be worth it. Is there anything i can do with like regular lights until i can get some nice ones?

Those lights are more then enough to cover his tank, but he is going with another unit on the other side. Mushrooms may be the only thing and maybe some zoas.

Oh okay what would you recommend be the best lights i can get for a 40 breeder. I want to have the option to do anenomies and sps corals? I think that's right

I saw a carpet anenomie close up yesterday I've never seen coral move before it was pretty cool and now in super excited

Back
Top Bottom