first saltwater aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bdp242

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am now cycling my first salt water tank with 3 pounds of live rock. It is gallons. I know its small, but I want to do something real simple. Debating on a cleaner shrimp and having either a damsel or goby! Thoughts or ideas? I'm not doing coral or reef.

How many gallons is the tank? The smallest recommended tank for any fish is 10 gallons, anything under that is usually used for inverts.

I was talking to one of the guys who works at the speciality saltwater store and it is manageable to do one small fish and invert

Honestly fish stores will tell you anything to make a sale. The specialty store near my house told me that I had to grow my own copepods because they aren't available to purchase unless I bought their "reef stew" and cultured from that. They don't care as long as they make a buck.

I figured I would be able to do one small fish 2 to 3 inches max with invert. Does not seem like it would be too difficult to handle

It's not necessarily difficult to handle. It's just that they are very confined and feeding can be an issue for certain fish.

5 gallons. I figured a small damsel or goby or clownfish would work and not be that hard

No damsel or clown will fit in there. You could do a clown goby but that's it

I've seen that people do keep the smallest species of clownfish in a 5 gallon. What would be some good invert?

I've seen that people do keep the smallest species of clownfish in a 5 gallon. What would be some good invert?

I've seen people do a lot of things to animals. Doesn't mean they're all right. That's included. Please don't put a clownfish in this tank. My female ocellaris is around 3.5". That's way to big for a 5. Stick to a goby. Plus a 5 gallon sw is hard enough without a
messy fish like a clown.

Goby, goby, and gobies. Thats it mostly it haha you can try some of these fish if you like to.
Nano Fish
But thats it. NOTHING else. Inverts if you dont get the wrasse, but if you do, just coral and that ONE fish. Seriously. Try to stay away from the firefish, it is most likely going to jump out if not happy (with that size it probably won't be) Get lots of hiding places for your fish like rocks, live or regular. Caves and holes are perfect. Other than that, get a good secure lid, lighting, and some other sort of wave/current maker (if you are serious about a firefish). Good luck. PLEASE keep us updated

Goby, goby, and gobies. Thats it mostly it haha you can try some of these fish if you like to.
Nano Fish
But thats it. NOTHING else. Inverts if you dont get the wrasse, but if you do, just coral and that ONE fish. Seriously. Try to stay away from the firefish, it is most likely going to jump out if not happy (with that size it probably won't be) Get lots of hiding places for your fish like rocks, live or regular. Caves and holes are perfect. Other than that, get a good secure lid, lighting, and some other sort of wave/current maker (if you are serious about a firefish). Good luck. PLEASE keep us updated

Globes are pretty hardy? I have gravel for my substrate.

Really no fish but a goby can go in that tank. If you want an open swimmer get a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom