First saltwater tank with absolutely no knowledge of saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hood and light combos are usually junk, especially the one you linked. I would find a light that you like and make a diy hood out of screen framing and deer netting.

They are decent, but if you were planning on going with t5ho I would suggest getting an aquatic life fixture instead. They are a lot better than the coralife fixtures.

They are decent, but if you were planning on going with t5ho I would suggest getting an aquatic life fixture instead. They are a lot better than the coralife fixtures.

are they reasonably priced? because i was going with this one because of the price haha sorry i have a fairly limited budget right now

I have another quick question which I know is a really simple basic thing but I was 99% sure them then I started to second guess myself, if you have a tank (hypothetical with a salinity of say 1.010 and you add water that had a salinity of 1.010 it stays at 1.010 correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have another quick question which I know is a really simple basic thing but I was 99% sure them then I started to second guess myself, if you have a tank (hypothetical with a salinity of say 1.010 and you add water that had a salinity of 1.010 it stays at 1.010 correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Yep. You're correct.

General advice on saltwater tanks:

Use RODI water for waterchanges if you plan to keep corals. Topoffs with RODI water.
If you plan to keep corals, buy a powerfull reef lighting system.

Protein skimmer is cool.

Always ask the forum before buying livestock :p

You probably already know about the nitrogen cycle... This is the same in SW.

Salinity must be kept between 1.020 and 1.025. Never add salt directly to the tank. Temp between 25.5C° and 27.5C°.

Thoses params are optimal but not necessary: Mg: 1400, Ca: 440, Kh: 9°.

You will need powerheads for the waterflow. Make sure there's a lot of surface agitation. You need live rocks.

Before buying LR or livestock, learn about diseases and parasites.

Back
Top Bottom