first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you have to install a valve to turn them off. they do not come with one.

i don't think there would be anything wrong with mounting the DI resin chambers vertically.

Great! I can install the valve np.

What carbon does everyone use? I'm tried of buying the Fluval bags, It's not a good bang/buck.

Found an awesome aquarium store about thirty min away from me and got these

Also bought that eBay RO/DI water system, can you guys assist me in installing it when it arrives?

img_1388297_0_111a2755cf6524069b6e3c078b18731c.jpg

img_1388297_1_cefce3606daee8f6badafdc317d18ab2.jpg

img_1388297_2_d4e060ad628e480ac07349f73524838a.jpg

I'll help answering questions about your RO/DI if I can. I just finished putting one up myself.

Where are you going to set it up? Something I didn't think about ahead of time myself was where it was going. I should have because I hooked mine up to a garden hose so then had to go to the store and buy an adapter to go from the garden hose to the RO/DI unit. Same with the drain (since I don't have a drain) I have it hooked up to a garden hose in order to drain into the yard and water the grass!

Thanks Carey!

I was going to put the water unit in my basement

I just hook mine up to the garden hose on my patio with a 32g garbage can. :)
Then all I have to do is drop a pump into the can and fill the tank back up.
Did you get the faucet adapter or garden hose?

Idk what apapters I need but my father is very diy kinda guy so I'm sure there is an adapter I need in the box of parts.

I heard there is a hose for waste water, should I get a can with a pump it in just draining somewhere?

Yep, the waste water comes out about 2 times as fast as the pure water so prepare for a lot to drain off. I run mine on the back patio so I can water the grass and flower beds with the waste water.

I have garden hose adapters somewhere just need to find them.

Can I turn the valve on each time I need to do a pwc and just manually carry the waste water outside? Would the water water be drinkable?

I wouldn't drink it. lol if you had a big enough container to hold the waste water I'm sure you could do it that way.

Any of the water, whether waste or pure, should be good to drink because it is the water coming out of your tap anyway. Even the waste water would be better than what is coming out of your tap!

I'm not sure I understand the question about turning the valve on each time. You will want to make the water at least a day in advance in order to mix the salt and get it to the correct temp. Once you do the water change you can start making some fresh RO/DI, so that is when you would turn it back on (just don't mix it with salt and let it sit for a week).

Sorry for my wording, maybe I dont understand...

How would I make RO water come out of the unit? Is it as simple as inlet/outlet?

If so, for the inlet, can I put a ball valve on the inlet and just open it everytime I want RO water?

I hope this new unit will greatly improved water parameters, I have to go back to school in August so I would like my maintenance to be low at that point

Any of the water, whether waste or pure, should be good to drink because it is the water coming out of your tap anyway. Even the waste water would be better than what is coming out of your tap!

I'm not sure I understand the question about turning the valve on each time. You will want to make the water at least a day in advance in order to mix the salt and get it to the correct temp. Once you do the water change you can start making some fresh RO/DI, so that is when you would turn it back on (just don't mix it with salt and let it sit for a week).
I Would not drink the waste water from your RO/DI unit. Yes, it is from your tap, but with concentrated levels of impurities because the super clean water was removed and is the end product that we use for our reef tank.

So... after doing some research I stand corrected... thincat is right. I just "assumed" because it was going through some filters it should be good but it turns out the waste water will have around 30-50% more TDS in it as the pure water is removed... basically turns it into a concentrate.

Sorry for being wrong on that one!

Everytime I look at this shroom he spreads more and more! I love it!

One polyp is getting me angry, first he broke off the base so I placed him on this liverock but my big turbo snail must have knocked it over, can I glue the polyp to the like rock? Cuz he is in a spot where the base plug won't fit.

How long will it take for him to attach to the rock if I leave him as is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom