first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Looks good! What did you use for substrate? It looks purpleish. :)

Well it was white when I got it, it has turned purple over the course of
Time that my tank has been set up for. Roughly 5 months

I picked up 20lbs Fiji Pink live sand from my lfs today :)

Also going to purchase a stand because I need to move the tank this coming weekend. I have 3 5gal water jugs, I will do a 20% wc as well, maybe 25% if you count the canister filter.

My lfs has a Blue Mandarin, they are beautiful!! I was reading that they are hard to take care if because of the feeding but other people/reviews say they are easy to take of. I think have plenty of liverock for them. Can anyone share their experience or knowledge here? Could I get one?

no way can you keep a mandarin in a 20 gallon tank. they need about 75-100 pounds of live rock to graze on. it will definitely starve to death over a period of about a month.

^^ why does liveaquaria, which is a pretty reputable site, suggest 30 gal min?

Thats based on the size of the fish. The feeding requirements are really really hard though. Most of them die of stravation which is a rotten way to go

I'd go with the recommendations of many who've owned or tried to own one that don't eat prepared foods. Without a lot of rock and thriving pods, they do starve. They'll wipe out a pod population in a 30g which in no way will have enuf rockwork.

Ok I see now, thanks for the info everyone! I'll take some pics when I move the tank this weekend for everyone.

^^ why does liveaquaria, which is a pretty reputable site, suggest 30 gal min?
there are multiple mistakes on their website. many sites on the net have done a lot of copy and paste when it comes to content. it's a death sentence for an average mandarin, putting it in a small tank. you can't even supplement their diet with pods because an average dragonet will eat a bottle of pods a day.
to answer your question, you'll need to contact fosters and smith.

Update everyone:

I picked up a duel t5HO light fixture, glass top and tank stand.

I tried to upload pics but the app on my iPhone wouldn't let me :/

I would not use a glass top for a reef tank. It prevents CO2 gas exchange with the water surface.

thincat said:
I would not use a glass top for a reef tank. It prevents CO2 gas exchange with the water surface.

Could I leave the back 2" plastic strip off? I understand the concept of what your saying but I think there is a point at which the gas exchange will be enough with out the top vs with half a top. I have two powerheads on the surface so my water agitation is high I would say.

And I'm not going crazy reef, just some mushrooms, polyp and maybe an anemone.

--

You guys may or may not agree with the decision I made a few weeks ago, I added my first fish to the tank. An adult clown.

A co-worker had him in his 8 year old fish only 175 gal tank and he wanted to go aggressive and was afraid he would not do well so I took the fish off his hands. :)

I got water samples from 3 lfs in my area that deal with saltwater, I tested there water with my kit and what do you know... The readings where the same expect for nitrate, mine was a little higher (5-10). My next test kit will be API for sure because I dont think my redsea is accurate.

The fish looks very happy and swims in this nice section of current :). I have been doing pwc weekly to keep nitrate down.

I changed the carbon in my csnister for the first time since I got it :/ and I plan on getting SearchEm de-nitrate this week.

Since I put the sand in when I moved my tank the full flow of the 305 Fluval was moving the sand too much, the flow is low now and I will keep it that was so the de-nitrate will work as it should around 50gph.

De-nitrate does need a very slow flow to work. I had a separate DIY PVC canister with a slow pump, one that toped out at 60 gph. It worked well, but over time I took it off and my nitrates haven't changed.

I would recommend SeaChem Matrix. You could put it right in your canister, its made for a higher flow. I run it on my tanks now keeps the levels right where I need. That and carbon are all I use.

I didn't really think that 5-10 nitrAtes was bad. You can do 20% water changes weekly (which is good anyway) and it should bring it down over the next couple months (not a quick process).

I agree with what everyone has said, CO2 thens to bring your PH down and that could be a problem. If you do the water changes that Smitty has said you should be Okay.

I'll be sure to keep a closer eye on my pH levels

Today pH is at 8.2ish
Nitrate is at 10. Im going on vacation on Thursday so I was planning on doing a 20% pwc.

Correct me if I am wrong but if I continue to do pwc till nitrate is at 0, will the tank maintain a lower nitrate around 0? Than do pwc every 2 weeks to lower nitrates again of course

I don't know that it is possible to have a tank with 0 nitrate unless you have an external source using it up (a lot of macro algae or a bit reactor of some kind). It takes a lot of pwcs to get it down that little and to keep it down that low, I don't know that one ever 2 weeks will do it.

I've been keeping my trates at 0 with a weekly pwc of about 15%. it did take forever to get to the 0 I must admit. lol

my trates are 0 i just recently started changing 10G out of the 55G a week so that probably has alot to do with it, its alot of work but its worth it lol

Back
Top Bottom