First Saltwater Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Space

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am a freshwater person. There aren't a ton of saltwater fish that really interest me. The exception however is that I think morays are the coolest thing to grace this Earth.

The problem is, Morays are salt water and I have zero experience with saltwater fish. Needles to say im not about to drop 80$ on a fimbrated moray with zero experience.

I have an extra 10 gallon laying around that I want to try learning the ropes with before I dive into something I can't handle. So does anyone had advice for good starter saltwater fish for a tank that small. And if it is anything that has similar water requirements to a moray that would be a plus.

Most all saltwater fish have similar water requirements, especially reef. Believe it or not the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. I've kept a 10g nano for 2 years before upgrading to a 75g. I ran aqua clear 30g hob and the small power head. I did water changes weekly with ro/di water which is a must imho for any reef. A good salt mix is needed, I use instant ocean reef crystals for my aquarium. A decent heater, lighting is iffy depending if you want corals or not.

Anytype of goby such as the neon or clown would be a good fit. Good do a goby shrimp pair. Clowns get to big for a 10g but a fire fish would also work

Most all saltwater fish have similar water requirements, especially reef. Believe it or not the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain. I've kept a 10g nano for 2 years before upgrading to a 75g. I ran aqua clear 30g hob and the small power head. I did water changes weekly with ro/di water which is a must imho for any reef. A good salt mix is needed, I use instant ocean reef crystals for my aquarium. A decent heater, lighting is iffy depending if you want corals or not.

Anytype of goby such as the neon or clown would be a good fit. Good do a goby shrimp pair. Clowns get to big for a 10g but a fire fish would also work

Both Neons and fire fish are pretty cool looking fish, and I like the idea of a shrimp fish combo. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

Do you think you could do a pair of gobys in a 10 or are they better off alone?

Depends on the goby. I believe neons can change genders so it's easier to get a pair. Other then that I wouldn't risk it as they do require territory. You could pull off having a firefiah and one neon though. They inhabit different parts of the tank but make sure you have a secure lid for the firefish has they like to jump

Maybe go for a clown, a goby, some frags, and some easy inverts like peppermint shrimp.

True, maybe some Cardinalfish?

Those are also iffy depending the type. Baggai (I think that's how you spell it at least) tend to fight and pick at each other in even larger tanks. But pajamas are better at that but they still get to big. Striped could work though I will admit I haven't done research on those

*Banngai Yeah, my Cardinals get along fine. IDK maybe Firefish (they would fight with a Watchman Goby tho').

I would say get a watchman goby/shrimp pair, then one other small fish like a firefish, ocellaris, clown goby, pink streaked wrasse or possum possum wrasse to name a few. Cleaner shrimp should be fine may get a little big but very cool

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom