FIrst Sump Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i am building a sump for my 125 Gallon reef tank and im using a 55 gallon long aquarium. Its glass. My main concern is do i need an overflow box? or Can i just run the pipes from the tank to the sump? Also on the baffles should they be acrylic or glass? I have heard people have had bad luck with acrylic baffles after a period of time.

First off, have you though about using a 40g tank? I'd suggest using a 40g breeder tank for your sump. It's a lot wider than the 55g and much easier to set up. I was planning on going with a 55g sump on my 125. I'm really glad i chose the 40g.

As for your overflow I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about the box being in your sump? If your tank is drilled, you can just run the lines down to your sump.

Ideally, you'd want the baffles to be made of glass. You'd be fine with acrylic. That's what i used; and it's working great. As for how long this will be the case; only time will tell. From what i hear most folks tend to do fine with acrylic baffles over time. The trick is to have them precisely measured and cut as well as using thicker material. The 1/4" stuff worked well for me.

I'll def look into getting a 40 gal breeder instead. Why did you change your mind on it?
For the overflow part, my tank is not drilled so im curious as to if i can just run my pipes from my sump directly into the tank.
Is it absolutely neccesary for like an HOB overflow box?

The 40G Breeder is a lot wider than the 55g. It gave me more volume for my fuge after i built my skimmer compartment. With all the maintenance and changes you'll make to your sump over time, i figured i'd be better off with the 40g as it has no middle brace to get in the way of things. Since it's wider, I can also get into each compartment a lot more easily then i could with the skinnier 55g.

As for the pipes, are we talking about the sump return line back to the DT? Or the DT supply/overflow lines coming into the sump?

If you have an HOB overflow, the line should run directly to your sump after the overflow.

Whats DT stand for? sorry im a lil slow.

Im just wondering if i need an HOB overflow box. Or is there some other method used for overflow?

freppy16 said:
Whats DT stand for? sorry im a lil slow.

Im just wondering if i need an HOB overflow box. Or is there some other method used for overflow?

DT = Display Tank

You need an overflow to get water from the dt to the sump; unless you have your tank drilled etc.

Back
Top Bottom