First SW - Nano Chi 5G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah gotcha, I just know a store near me that gets them and tries to sell them and yeah. I don't frequent there often. A smaller goby would be great for the 5. On the snails that's weird because my tank is completely open and I've never had a snail wonder. I only have like 6 snails though

I am at like 108 snails. I have about a week left until the heat treatment is done in my big 72 g tank and then my 35g can take out a jungle of plants and go into the 72g...then can do the sw in the 35g! Argh, lol. Then all (most) the snails can move over with. Lots more room.

Wow lol from reef cleaners?

Sure sounds like John to me

Yes! But I found some typos on the new site revision rollout. So I got a few extra, above the usual extras!

He had a thread here for finding typos and dead links and he would send something extra.

So I also got a KH test kit as well :D...

He did great packaging and sent (lots of) nice stuff! With great communication. :) Will do business with him again, already asked about some additional types of macro algae. Don't need any more snails for awhile!, lol.

New tank

Next update...

I just got a 15G Column tank and it is going to be the new SW.

Everything from the 5G is moving over to it including the filter.

A couple quick questions.

I was due for the weeks pwc,
have 0 ammonia,
0 nitrite and had
30 nitrate, did a 1/3 pwc and now am at 20ppm, cleaned the filter sock which I did not do last week and I have never cleaned the filter media or rinsed off the chaeto.

After doing a little more reading it was concluded to clean the filter sock, every week and some people said take out Hob, or should I just rinse it out in the old tank water and put it back each week?

Second issue is there was poop looking stuff in the Chaeto when I got it, I just left it thinking it was trapped poo and it would just add to the cycle, BUT they are growing and it seems they are sticking to the side of the hob and they look exactly like FW detritus worms...also like a kinda fat poop string. What are they, no pic atm still having problems with my phone?

Anyone have a suggested name for me to cross check. is that good or bad to have.

I also read about chaeto and it said it should be loose in the hob and even rolling around though others said that rolling wasn't necessary. Mine is still dark green and seems healthy.

I'd clean the sock out really well each week. You wanna get trates down below 5. On the worms it sounds almost like flatworms.

I'd clean the sock out really well each week. You wanna get trates down below 5. On the worms it sounds almost like flatworms.

I plan to now, clean it every week.

I got a Orange Ricordia last night and this morning as it was opening up it stretched out and fell off its rock, it is growing out of/off a Cereth shell, which had caught on a crack so I thought it would be fine, but once it stretched out the little bit of current caught it, lol.

So I scooped it up with a circle end of a bbq skewer and a chop stick and set it on another ledge just as the current caught it and it caught in a branch of Red Macroalgae and before I could get moved to grab it, it started opening so I stopped, and kept getting bigger and flopped around the branches and looked pretty happy so I left it for now, and will move it later tonight to a better spot.

Do these sting, are they toxic?

Last edited:
They let off chemicals but I wouldn't worry about it. Not gonna hurt you or other corals. Just run a bit of carbon to take care of the chemicals. Get some glue or epoxy and glue that sucker onto a rock!

No, and no. The easiest way to get a shroom to attach is use a glass in the tank. Put a rock or plug in the glass, put the ric in on top of it and let it sit in their for a couple days. Should attach on it's own, no need for any glue.

They let off chemicals but I wouldn't worry about it. Not gonna hurt you or other corals. Just run a bit of carbon to take care of the chemicals. Get some glue or epoxy and glue that sucker onto a rock!

You are fast :)

Lol I thought she said it attached to a shell but maybe I misread. I meant to glue the shell down :)

Well it looks like one of us did. Autumn if it's attached to a shell or rock then just glue it down somewhere, if not try my trick first and then glue it down some where :D

You guys have me smiling this morning, lol.

The guy at the lfs plucked it out of a dish thing and said it was attached to some rubble, but upon observation it was stuck in a 1/3 inch shell, I think, Dwarf Cerith, and it maybe could attach to something bigger as that is soooo small, like it is attached inside of the shell where the snail would live, and the shell is dangling below the branch of algae.

I have a tiny glass dish I used to feed shrimp in, I could put a little rock in that for it to attach if it wants a bigger thing to hold it down.

Have I told you AA reefers you are wonderful yet today? Thank you, you were quick on the draw!

The 15G column tank I just changed to is awesome, I really love it. I will be making the new thread today or tomorrow when I get a couple minutes to get a few shots.

I am really excited about getting the other Corals, the 2 head Duncan, the Teal trumpets (and at $5. for 2-4 heads I think I will buy 2 more, good idea or not?) the red mushrooms and something else I forgot which I picked. Really want the Mystic Sunset Monti for the top of the tank.

This is too much fun :brows:. time for a second job to pay for it all!

If it's attached to the shell, I'd just glue the shell down to your rock work. When the rics open you won't see the shell and they'll eventually split off onto the rocks.
As for adding coral, they have very very small bio loads so I see no problem adding 4-5 at a time as long as you have enough room on the sand to light acclimate with out them getting to close to anything aggressive (not sure if that's even a problem for you or not).

I agree with big red, I'd just attach it on the shell. Sounds like you have some good easy corals to start with. See how they do before you move up to the mystic sunset :).

Just beware coral is an addiction :D! Especially sps like montipora and acropora...

Just beware coral is an addiction :D! Especially sps like montipora and acropora...

So I will likely now have a tank addiction, planted tank plants addiction, and now a coral addiction, thanks guys, you are really helping me here!!!

I have to say the Montis are amazing how they encrust and make live rock even more lively!

Back
Top Bottom