First tank EVER!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmazonMars

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everybody. Been waiting to have my tank cycled and stocked a bit before introducing myself. I cycled my very first tank using the pure ammonia method and was fully cycled after 27 days (4ppm of Amm. to 0<24h)
Continuously adding plants (java fern, Marimo balls, Anubis, Amazon sword, etc with Salvinia) with some terra cotta pots and a large piece of driftwood.
I was going to get glofish but decided against it. Went for a community tank instead with H Rasboras and a Cobalt Dwarf Gourami as my centerpiece fish. I wanted Panda corys but my LPS couldn’t get them so ordered me Ottos. I did a 1hour acclimation, 1 was dying the next day and lost 3 more over the next week so 2 out of 6 survived. I know they should be more (hence 6) but not willing to buy more.
Was considering adding a sand corner and adding 4-6 pandas (ordered online) instead of more Ottos and maybe 1 snail? Any other suggestions? My nitrates haven’t been getting past 5ppm, amm0, Nitrites0. Since stocked I’ve been doing 20% weekly water changes.
My Gourami has been glass surfing and would sometimes rush (no injuries) my Rasboras so I got Salvinia floating plants, seems a little better. No more rushing since but still a little glass surfing.
All in all, loving the hobby and love my tank so far!
Stay safe everyone and stay home!

Attachments

• 90C140EF-3DC3-4C33-9C28-546B26D30C64.jpg
    90C140EF-3DC3-4C33-9C28-546B26D30C64.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 35
Thanks for sharing your journey so far&#55357;&#56397;&#55356;&#57340;

I suggest you keep a close eye on the dwarf gourami. You may want to check on the gourami at night in the dark with a flashlight. If he wants the spot with the slowest current in the tank to rest fine, if he wants all of the tank to himself that’s not so good &#55357;&#56396;&#55356;&#57340;&#55357;&#56351;&#55356;&#57150;&#55358;&#56720;&#55357;&#56332;

I’ve actually checked up on him a few times at night and is pretty still, stays under the floaters (Salvinia). He hasn’t been hanging near the surface (like he’s supposed to) since I got him which is why I got the floaters. Spends most of the day foraging my driftwood and substrate. Only been 48 hours since I added the Salvinia and already his behavior is better.
What do you think of my stocking plans?

Ottos are very picky fish. Those in the pet stores I have found are very weak. They need a very old tank with lots of algae, or else they starve. Most of their diet is algae, and they constantly need to eat. I’ve seen few people successful, so I promise it is not your fault that they were having problems. I see it a lot with that fish.

Panda cories are great! They are so awesome to watch. Most fish leave them alone, they can basically fit anywhere so I would say go ahead. They’re best in groups of six or more, as they school and you have more natural behaviors. Sand is also a good idea, or else they may break their barbels. Beware, the sand won’t stay in one corner lol.

Your tank looks awesome!

I had lots of algae but I also heard since they are usually wild, the bacteria they need to digest depletes during travel, leaving them still starving even when feed upon arrival.

I’ll give the sand a try but can be vacuumed up if it causes too many headaches. I heard sand is better but apparently it’s been disproven about the barbel damage as long as gravel is smooth but I want what’s best for them as they seem to love to dig in the sand! Ordered some on Amazon but will take a month &#55357;&#56837;

Welcome, and nice start with the tank! As Elizae said, Otos can be picky. I love them, but I believe they're wild-caught and can be awfully stressed by the time they get to the store. I've had best success with them by waiting a couple of months for a tank to establish, then adding the Otos.

I wish I knew before to wait for a more established tank for the Ottos, or at least waited for them to mature a bit longer at the LPS. Most of her advice was pretty good but they usually don’t carry them.
Hopefully the Pandas are not so sensitive in a new tank (fully cycled btw)

I’ve kept cories on gravel and sand and I personally enjoy them more on sand. They will sit there and bury their nose into the sand and I think it’s pretty cute.

Elizae can’t wait to see! Will wait for the sand before getting the Corys. ?
Might get a snail too. Is that too much?
1 dwarf Goirami
6 H Rasbora
2 Ottos
4-6 panda Corys
And maybe 1 snail?

I like nerite snails personally. I don’t have to worry about baby snails at any time coming from them, and they’re not super messy

Feed the Ottos zuckini or cucumber slices till the algae catches up . I have mine in an old tank but still feed them cucumber . Mine didn't like zuckini .

Back
Top Bottom