First Tank Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gamma, instead of using Pure Ammonia, you should try to purchase a product called BioSpira. I used pure ammonia, and my cycle took 27 days. I don't mean to scare you, because I think I was just unlucky. My nitrite was stuck at 1.5 for 11 days. I went to the LFS and bought BioSpira. It is bacteria in a pouch and can range anywhere from 20-60$ I believe (depending on what size you buy). After adding it, my cycle was complete within 24 hours. It needs to be kept cold, refrigerated (not frozen) or else the bacteria could die.

Thanks for the tip Marconis. I think I'm going to start off with just ammonia and see how things go. While I'm excited about getting to the fish I'm also not in a huge rush. But at least now if I get stuck I'll know what to do. :D

The one downside to using Flourite is that it is very dusty when you first get it. No matter how many times you rinse the gravel before you put it in the tank you are still going to see a cloud of dust when you first fill it up.

But now I have yet another question. Does anyone have any good methods for rinsing gravel? I know my flourite isn't going to totally dust free even after rinsing but it's still a step I'll like to do and I have no idea how to go about it. Put it in a bucket? Over a screen? How do I avoid washing it all down the drain?

Hi again everyone.

So I've been moving more slowly on this tank than I want but life seems to be getting in the way. At this point though I've got the background on and things set up and I'm ready to put in my substrate, decor, equipment, etc. and get my fishless cycle started.

I've been having second thoughts about the flourite, however, due to everyone's comments about cloudiness. I'm thinking now that I might go with PFS if I can find a decent source in the Boston area. Does anyone know of a good place in the metro-Boston area to find PFS?

Also, if I do go with sand and I don't want to get snails can I mannually stir up the substrate during PWC to avoid gas pockets?

as I'm sure everyone on here mentioned, I would do the 55 gallon starter kit form walmart, its around 160 bucks for everything. heres all you'll need:

tank setup ( 55 gallon for 160 bucks at walmart, comes with lighting, heater, and filter setup and a net and osme pamplets )

optional stand ( walmart has one for about 60 bucks thats pretty nice looking )

declorinator ( i use wardley chlor out, its a 1.78 a bottle and treats almost 700 gallons )

air pump ( I would get the 10 dollar dual outlet oen at WM )

air hose ( usually comes in 25 feet rolls for liek 2 bucks )

airstone or bubble wand of whatever size you want

I use stress zyme to help cycling or when I do big water changes

test kits ( ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, gh+kh are the most common, stay away form quick dp strips, they are not reliable for anything!!!! )

extra filter cartridges if you buy the kit, it will say on the box which ones to buy

filter brush cleaning set ( WM has a set of 3 for 3 bucks )

algea brush or magnet

gravel, I would do about 40-45 lbs of gravel ( WM has 25 lb bags for like 9 bucks each )

different sized nets

PM me and I'll type ya up a detailed list of things to get

TFM- He already has the tank setup.

Gamma- Start calling around to pool supply stores. That's really the easiest way to do it. If you don't know of any, check the online yellow pages. Regarding the sand, you can stir it up with a hanger, move the sand around with your gravel vac, or just toss in some MTS. I like MTS because it keeps the sand stirred under my rock structures.

Okay, after taking much (but not all) of your excellent advice I've got my tank up and running.

I decided to go with gravel over sand, mostly because I ultimately decided I wanted that look for this tank. Also because I don't plan for this tank to be planted, though who knows what will happen in the future.

Speaking of looks, however, here are some pics of the tank.

This is one with just the hood lights on:
29galhdlghtApr27.JPG

Here it is with the room lights on, hood lights off:
29galnoflashApr27.JPG

And some close-ups of the decor, driftwood, river pebbles, etc:
29galdwrockApr27.JPG

29galpebbleApr27.JPG

So, it's going, filter running and everything. I am waiting on a heater to arrive, but as I'm doing a fishless cycle I'm not to worried about that yet.
I decided to go with the adding straight ammonia and did so today but I think I may have added too much because the concentration was very high. Here are my levels after the first day:

pH: 8.4

Yikes! that's so high, any idea if that's due to the NH4? If I remember correctly ammonia is a base and thus could be making the pH read in the 8s. My tap water without added ammonia reads at about 7.6.

NH4: 8.0 ppm

Like I said, I think I added too much at first. Is this going to be a problem or will the bacteria eventually get to breaking it down once they're established?

NO2: 0 ppm
NO3: 0 ppm

No nitrItes or nitrAtes, which is expected.

Any comments on my beginnings?

Your pH probably really IS that high. Mine comes out of the tap at a perfect 7.0 but after it sits out for 24 hours it isn't measurable (meaning higher than 8.8 ).

Okay, so if I have high pH, does that mean I'll have to use pH down or some such product? Or will it be okay in the long run?

No, do not use pH down.

Agreed.

Let it be what it will be.Stable is perfect.Other then stable there is no perfect ph number.

When you get around to adding fish, test the water in the bag before adding the fish.If the ph is not very close consider adding (very slowly at first) tank water to the bag as it floats to allow for a gentiler acclimation....and overall beter chance of survival.

HTH

Thanks, I definitely plan to acclimate all my future inhabitants.

As far as the cycling goes. I'm a little bit stalled because I didn't have a good seed source so it might take awhile for the colony to become established. But it is possible for the bacteria to grow without seed material, right, it just takes longer?

Yes, it is entirely possible to cycle without media from another filter. Just start dosing pure ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom