First tank startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treym563

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys just started my first tank and figured I'd make a thread (with pics!) to discuss it since I'm sure I will run into issues. I'd like to preface this with I recently started reading about aquariums and I am by no means an expert so if anyone has any opinions/advice about what I plan on doing don't hesitate to chime in.

Here's what I'm using:
20 Gallon tank
Penguin Biowheel 150
Aqueon 100W heater
API Stress Coat water conditioner
ACE Hardware brand ammonia- says it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide, it doesn't have an ingredient list but it doesn't bubble when I shake it so I'm hoping it's the right stuff
Standard aquarium rock

So far my plans for the tank are:
Fish:
4-5 Cardinal or Neon Tetra's- I'd prefer Cardinal because of their brighter color
1 Dwarf Gourami
3 Otto's (I hear they like to be in groups of at least 3?)
5-10 Cherry Shrimp (A lady nearby supplies some local fish stores with them and promises they are healthy)

Plants:
I want to have live plants but haven't decided which ones specifically. For sure java moss or java fern since I've read that's what the Cherry Shrimp love. Other than that, I'm still not sure. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of my tank, ornaments/fake plants haven't shipped yet and waiting till after my cycle to add live plants.

Attachments

• 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 121
Last night I started my fishless cycle. Cleaned the rock, added heater and filter and filled it up with treated water. I let the filter run for an hour or so then did a water test just to see what my treated water would show. I got:
PH:7.6
Ammonia: around .25ppm (before I added any ammonia)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I then proceeded to add 2 tsp. of ammonia to the tank and let it run. About an hour later I tested and the ammonia reading was off the chart. I guess for a 20 gallon adding 2 tsp of ammonia is wayyy too much. I did a 10% WC hoping that would lower it, but it didn't. This morning I did a 50% WC and still got an ammonia reading between 4-8 ppm. About to do another PWC hoping I can get the ammonia down to 2-3 ppm and get the cycle underway.

Should keep ammoina around 4ppm if i remember correctly. i am be wrong though. someone else may chime in

The amonia levels will die down naturally once the good bacteria starts to take
off, I dont use any water chemistry products ( besides tap water conditioner ).
also since u havent added fish yet, consider replacing that gravel with black
aquarium sand, it absorbs light , puts the visual focus on the fish, and being
fine sand has way more surface area allowing for more beneficial bactria
growth, its worth the time and the few extra bucks.

Thanks for the advice Fishboi, I looked that black sand up and I definitely like how it looks but for 50 bucks I'm just going to keep the rock I have considering I already had to take it out once because I forgot to rinse it initially. When it comes to my next tank I will probably use that black sand.

Good point, I forgot to consider ur tank size, but if u can find it cheap it
may still be worth it. Basically take ur time for the initial setup, there is
no such thing as too much planning. Btw, have u ever seen a dutch
aquarium? If not, I highly recommend viewing a gallery, I promise, you
will be stunned by the beauty. Ive got alot of aquascaping ideas that way.
u can use silk plants if u dont want the hassle of live plants. Search : amano
dutch aquariums and prepare to stunned. Ttyl ( im supposed to be working
right now lol )

Those tanks look amazing. I initially was going to just use a few fake plants but after some research I decided I'm going to put live plants in along with some driftwood. I'm definitely going to be doing some planning since I just started the long process of cycling my new tank. I hope I can find someone willing to part with some substrate from their established tank to make this go faster..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom