First-time breeding platys. Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KFav93

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, so I believe I might have a pregnant platy. I bought a small isolation tank that goes into the tank but floats at the top, so I can put the fry in there. But now, I'm realizing I need a place for the fry to stay awhile. I don't own a second tank, only my 20 gallon. What do I do? I can't get a small tank and get it up and running in a couple days. It would have to cycle first. Any suggestions?

20 gallon
2 zebra snails
2 zebra danios
6 platys
1 cory

Those isolation boxes make me so sad. We used ours on a bully we eventually had to rehome. Please don't put your pregnant fish in that tiny, clinical box.

If you must keep them in a breeder, get a net or refugium. You can put plants in them and make them very homey.

Do you have plants?

Here's the amazing thing about fry- staying alive is their number one skill. If you have plants, given the rest of your stock, they will be just fine with the community. Feed them something tiny like crushed up flakes or cyclops.

Those isolation boxes make me so sad. We used ours on a bully we eventually had to rehome. Please don't put your pregnant fish in that tiny, clinical box.

If you must keep them in a breeder, get a net or refugium. You can put plants in them and make them very homey.

Do you have plants?

Here's the amazing thing about fry- staying alive is their number one skill. If you have plants, given the rest of your stock, they will be just fine with the community. Feed them something tiny like crushed up flakes or cyclops.
I have plants but they're small. I have a Java fern, sword and Anubias. And a marimo ball. My tank is community but I'm scared cause I read platys will eat the fry.

KF...

Get some floating plants like Anacharis, Hornwort, Duckweed and Water sprite. These are just a few that need no planting. Drop the individual stems into the tank. These grow just floating close to the light. Plants make the female comfortable in the tank and make for good hiding places for the fry. Don't move the female or the fry. Either could be injured.

Keep the tank water clean with a couple of large water changes a week. The female can hold the fry until water conditions are right for fry survival. Start feeding the fish a little more and more often. Well fed adult fish aren't likely to bother the fry.

B

I agree. Those platy fry will find any cover there is and will eat tiny bit of algae and infusoria. Eventually, those that survive will dash out to steal small bits of food. Eventually, they come out to join the "big fish."

The bigger problem you'll have (trust, I'm going through this right now) is that the adult platys will keep breeding, and the juveniles will grow up to start breeding.

You'll have plenty of platys in a few months. :eek:

I agree. Those platy fry will find any cover there is and will eat tiny bit of algae and infusoria. Eventually, those that survive will dash out to steal small bits of food. Eventually, they come out to join the "big fish."

The bigger problem you'll have (trust, I'm going through this right now) is that the adult platys will keep breeding, and the juveniles will grow up to start breeding.

You'll have plenty of platys in a few months. :eek:
Well I have a lot of places to hide in my tank. The plants are young and small they're not the best of hiding places but I have a little "hut" i guess you would call it and this big corral bubbler in the middle that has tons of holes. I want to try to get to my LFS and get a floating plant just in case. Also, I do have a little isolation box. But it's one that floats and it's pathetic but I wanted it just in case because I only have one tank. I'm really scared that they won't stop breeding. I only have a 20 gallon so I'm hoping they take it easy until I figure out if I can afford another tank.

In a pinch, plastic plants will help provide some shelter. Not all the benefits of live plants but will work if you need some instant cover.

In a pinch, plastic plants will help provide some shelter. Not all the benefits of live plants but will work if you need some instant cover.
I have 3 of those! I took them out but I can put them back in. That's a good idea lol

Update: I just ran to the store quick. No Java Moss or waters price. I got an anacharis though, it looks like a full thick plant

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom