First time fishless cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

S_Luskie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey there!

I'm hoping for some advice on my fishless cycle please - it's my first one. I've been reading other threads every day to try and work it out, but am feeling a bit stuck.

I bought myself a Fluval Chi 25L 3 weeks ago and have been running a fishless cycle ever since. I've attached a running sheet of my API test results and would welcome any advice.

Key question for me at this point is whether I need to increase my ammonia readings or if I am on track and just need to let the cycle run it's course.

Thanks in advance :fish1:

Attachments

• Monitoring.pdf
    49.1 KB · Views: 44
I think it looks fine, although what was all the pH down for?

It looks exactly on track now, although why were your ammonia readings always so low? what were you dosing to? Why did ammonia go up on Apr 2? If you haven't dosed ammonia since Mar 16 you need to dose some more. At this point you are completing a cycle that will only support about .25 ammonia which is basically nothing. Normal fishless cycling builds for 4ppm. I would aim for at LEAST 2ppm.

I want to applaud your patience and record keeping. I am a lover of spreadsheets :)

lol, thanks so much for your encouragement - I do love my data !

I don't have any pure ammonia, so I've just been using fish food in the tank. I'll put more in to try to get my ammonia readings right up...and I'll leave the PH Down alone until I really need it ;-/

Thanks again - much appreciated.

I'd suggest a raw shrimp in a nylon sock. Gross I know, but your ammonia will go a lot higher.

OR you certainly can cycle to less and just be slow with your stocking. It will work :)

Still though, why the pH down? fish can acclimate.

Raw shrimp...<eek!> - ok, I'll give it a go. I'd rather aim to build a higher cycle...

I had no idea what I was doing with the PH, I'll leave it alone :)

Thanks again

Wow, the shrimp worked fast - overnight the tank ammonia is 4ppm, nitrite at 5ppm, nitrates 20ppm. The water is looking pretty cloudy - should I be doing a PWC or do I just leave it run and see what happens?

Just leave it to run. It will smell really bad though. I hope you have a lid :D

The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom and is an excellent sign.

Hi, I'm back again, an unsure if my cycle has stalled or if I'm still on the right track.

My PH has climbed today to 8.2, ammonia at 4ppm (did climb to 8.0 a few days ago). NitrIte s at 5ppm (was at 8 a few days ago) and Nitrates somewhere between 80 and 160ppm. I've not done anything to the tank since adding the shrimp on 4 April to get the ammonia up...

With thanks

Is the shrimp still in there? Once ammonia went up to 4 ppm you coukdve pukked the remaining shrimp out.

Uhh ohh

Hello !

Well since my last post I have lost three fish :(

The first two I bought together (lion head goldfish) - and one of them was already diseased by the looks of it. I lost the first one, then waited a few days and all seemed fine so added another one in (another lion head). I lost both remaining fish - despite my tank readings all being normal (and verified by the aquarium shop for me).

So, completely disheartened I decided to clean the tank out in full and set it up with a heater so that I can get a betta fish next time around. But, despite all efforts and holding off getting fish until I'm sure everything is ok, I cannot get my PH levels under control - they have been over 8 for 2 weeks now.

Any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom