First time fresh to salt.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well my gold fish and koi are going to go to a new home next week. And there current tank (55gal) is going to be my first dip into salt. I have been planning this for a little while now, but still have a few questions. I ordered black moon sand, it is at the lfs waiting for me. I am going to pick up a protein skimmer and a couple of power heads, oh ya the salt too. As of now the tank has a Emperor 400 filter on it. It has the standard lighting and I cant upgrade it right now, so I wanted to do a fish only type of thing.

Now my questions start . Will two clowns, thats what I want, do ok in this. I know that live rock is is a huge plus right now but can I do a good happy tank with out it. Should I drain all of the water that is in there now and start new or will some of that water be all right. If I need to have the other things, not including the tests , hydometer and so on, I will have to wait. Just got a new camera, car, and planning a trip , so money is limited for this.

I guess that I am being impatient by wanting to start it now. If the fish would suffer I will just start stocking every thing up now. And have more to start with later.

Thanks for any input.

The fish may not suffer (they may) but you will. Many problems with water quality and algae can be avoided by doing it right the first time. If I were doing it all over, having the benefit of 10+ years experience, I would save up for 60-70lbs high quality LR, 2 175W MH lights, a good quality return pump, a sump (either store bought or DIY), pvc pipe for plumbing, and a good oversize protein skimmer. I would even sell the 55 and buy a 75. The small difference in size makes a HUGE difference in your new reef. I know you said FO but it will be a reef sooner or later so might as well make it sooner. A full on reef is easier to maintain than a FO.

Thanks. That is what I had gathered from reading here. I had just hoped that for the sake of a smaller set up that it was avoidable. But I think you are right about it ending up as a reef. I could see that happening. I think that I will stock pile for a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom