first time molly fry owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spicypickledmollies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My molly "jerry" gave birth today while we were out. I've managed to catch about 20 fry and have placed them in a container with rocks and a plant, my other molly "Ben" was helping herself to them :( What can I do to help them out until they are bigger? The container is definitely a temporary solution! I wasn't able to find a breeding net in town so we're headed to the city this weekend. Anything specific I should look for?!

Nope a Net or box will do find even a betta tank would be good. They only need to be in there temporarily

How long should they be separated? I ended up surrendering all the fry but two to pet smart. One of the staff is taking them home :) I have more on the way and didn't want to stress out the tank. If I have them in a betta tank do they need a heater and filter or is a plant just fine?

If its a small betta tank then It should stay room temperature. As long as your house isn't cold then you won't need a heater lol. A filter is necessary though, if you're keeping them in there for more than a day. A sponge filter or a HOB with a sponge over the intake would do fine.

I've had a lot of success with providing lots of hiding places in the main tank for fry rather than separating them. Some do get get picked off, but livebearers are so prolific that I'm not concerned. I think it may also be a way to weed out genetically weaker fry- the ones that know how to survive, survive.

I should add that I haven't been in the hobby for that long, but I have noticed that a lot of more experienced members have recommended hiding places over fry tanks.

If you have a Rubber Made-brand doesn't matter-plastic swaeter box, just drill hones in the bottom and a few lies on the sides. You can fit it into a 10 gal tank with the parents. The water onlyneed be an inch deep.

Back
Top Bottom