first time red slider owner- need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

creno9210

Aquarium Advice Activist
so i just bought a 35 gallon tank with a stand for 60$. It came with a red slider turtle.

I bought a Marineland Dual Purpose Canister Filter HOT Magnum 25
Does this filter go all in the water, i have about 4-5 inches without water at the top... can this filter go further down, maybe use the suction cups instead of letting it hang on the back?

I just bought a basking area also, so for about a week he will be in this tank with no heater (I do have a light for him to stay kind of warm in the meantime. it's a floodlight, what the guy gave me when he dropped everything off....

how long can he go without a basking area? will he die of over excretion, having nothing to lay on on the top?

any advice is loved. I didnt really want him, but now that he is in the tank, he is so cute and now im worried about him!

filter, heater and basking area will be here in a week or so.

The basking area is important so the little guy can be fully submerged in the heat lamp for vitamin D. They are also not fully aquatic, so they need some sort of land to be dry on for a little while. I'm sure he'll be fine without it until you get it, but just make sure that temp doesn't fall below 72 minimum. They're cold blooded so they're sensitive to cold and hot temperature. 72-82 is the range That is suggested but i stay in 75-78 degrees. As long as the water stays in the 70s id say you're good :) I don't know much about filters so I'm not sure, we've never had a canister for our turtle!

•Just keep swimming•

Thanks for the advice.

I did a little rink a dink thing for him in the mean time. He's been up there a few times.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

He's so cutw

Attachments

• 1422646907636.jpg
    1422646907636.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 71

Attachments

• 1422646954279.jpg
    1422646954279.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 74
I would suggest you remove it from the tank for feeding. Give it time to eat and defecate before returning it to the home tank. The tank will stay much cleaner. We used a wash basin for that purpose.

He's adorable! Another thing I do with mine is take him out into the backyard and let him walk around for a bit. He gets the vitamin D and loves the fresh air :)

•20 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Well we have a bunch of snow on the ground where I am, so that's not an option until later this year haha.

I might set up a tub tonight without any water to let him dry off for a bit.

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Oops I forgot it was winter ? I live in Arizona so it's sunny all year round. Nevermind ?

•20 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

Haha I just moved from Florida so I know the feeling. Chicago is cold and windy! Brrr.

29 gallon~ 5 giant danio, pleco, chinese algae eater
35 gallon~ red ear slider, soon to add guppys and shrimps

Back
Top Bottom