first timer w/ a 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great!

Don't worry so much about the algae burst just yet. This happened to me when I upgraded my lighting and again when I started using CO2. I think the change in chemistry causes this and adjusts quickly as the new plants alter that by taking up excess. I also got more green algae on rocks and then it was gone in two weeks each time without any action on my part besides my usual 50% water changes every week.

I did a major pruning a week after I sent your plants and everything is over grown again now only 1.5 weeks later. :) You gotta love high light!

My suggestions for placement would be to consider visually how you would want the eye to flow through your tank. Not that I am pro...but I like looking at Amano Takashi's designs and picking the parts that I like an combining them to the best effect for the fish and the plants that I have. Nature Aquarium Photographs | AmanoTakashi.net

It took me six months to really work in the concept of a foreground into my tank with the plants I had. Most were background and midground. I think have something similar. I got come microchain sword and I love it now. It was a simple addition that gave the tank a feeling of depth and allowed me to frame the space better. I am not done yet. But I feel like it is getting there. Like you, I really enjoy watching the process unfold.

I love this update. Can't wait to see how it all evolves.

Thanks for the support Kai! I'm very interested in foreground carpet plants as well. The 55g tank is so narrow already, but I bet I could arrange things so that they were out of the shade. The weather is getting cold now so I may wait till the spring for any new plant packages.
I'm thinking next step will be getting some colorful fish to help fill things up.

Just to let everyone know what my current situation is and to see if this is good or needs improving.

I run my lights for 11 hours a day. Dose half a teaspoon of KNO3, 1/8 teaspoon of KH2PO4, and 1/8 teaspoon of K2SO4 3 days a week. The other 3 days I dose 1/8 teaspoon of Plantex trace micro's.
On the 7th day I do a 50% WC.

Testing my nitrates at various times, they seem to be around 30 to 40. After a macro dosing they may be a little higher than 40 though it's hard to tell with the color scale. My CO2 is at about 30 ppm according to my drop checker. My solenoid sticks and sometimes the CO2 will run a little higher, though I have never caught my fish gasping at the surface ever.

After two weeks of this the plants are definately growing taller, though I'm not seeing any reds or purple colors. Is this because my nitrates are so high? Should I start dosing less ferts? Anything else I should be changing?

not sure what red and purple plants you have (ill look through the discussion to see) but with some plants it takes very high powered lighting to get the red colors to come through. If not, they will grow just fine but be green

I have a list of all the plants I've been given through this site. I'll post it tonight along with a new pic or two since I rearranged some of the plants. I'm starting to become VERY happy with the tank and missed part of the Penguin game last night because I coudlnt tear my eyes away!

More light... I guess that'll be my roadblock. The fixture I have now was a gift and I'll need to keep it for at least a year or two to not offend the gf. My glass lid is getting a little cloudy though, perhaps if I figure out a way to clean that I could get a few more watts through. I've tried vinegar and regular soap but nothing seems to work.

Here we go again. I moved some small plants to the front and tried to create as much depth illusion as possible with the small 55 tank. Many of these plants have doubled in size and are poking through the surface of the water. I know I should cut them soon, but I kinda like the arc shape that they are forming and the way the topmost leaves are shifting colors.

Plants include hydro, asian ambulia, hygrophila difformis, wisteria, ludwigia repensarcuata, ludwigia brevipes, and dipidlisdionra. Also some java fern, moss, some sort of sword, and a tall leafy plant that was in forts low light package. Dont ask me which are which and for the accurate spellings because I'm totally clueless with these names! All I know is they are all growing very well at the momment. I hope to add some brighter colored fish to offset the bright green of the tank. Maybe some sword tails or orange mollies? Now that there is more shade I may try my luck with some more corries as well.
Please hit me with all suggestions and tips. I claim only half credit for this tank as all my favorite parts came with AA's help.

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 268.jpg
    Picture 268.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture 269.jpg
    Picture 269.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Picture 270.jpg
    Picture 270.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 65
Well your red plants are going to be your ludwigia repens arcuata, Didiplis diandra, and ludwigia brevipes. I (currently) have about the same amount of light as you (which if I read correctly is about 1.75wpg), and my ludwigia repens is already showing red. However you have the cross with arcuata, and from what I have read you need bright light to bring out the red in it. Same with your didiplis diandra and ludwigia brevipes. Give the plants some time. Another week or two they might settle in and color up. You might also see some red as the plants grow taller and closer to the light. From what I have read and know is that most red plants take a good amount of light to get a solid red color. I love the tank right now though and how vibrant it looks already! Keep up the good work!

Links for some of your plants:

Tropica

http://www.tropica.com/productcard_1.asp?id=035'

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=91

Long Beach primrose (Ludwigia brevipes)

Thanks! I'll stay the course and look for color changes. It has only been just shy of 3 weeks they've been planted. I'm going to do more research on fertalization tonight, but do you know of anyway to dose the EI method and still keep nitrates down? I suppose its either one or the other.

Another question. My glass diffuser w/ceramic plate is beccoming caked with brown algae. Also the CO2 tubing is becomming covered in little white and brown spots. Everything is still working perfectly. Do these diffuses ever become clogged and need cleaned or can I just let it stay brown? Its hidden behind a bunch of plants so I don't mine the appearance.

Addedd 3 more spotted cories and 4 beautiful orange/yellowish sword tails last night. Tank is really starting to fill out.

Here are a few pics after a cleaning. All the plants are taking off and growing wild. The leaves that tough the surface are slowly turning pinks and reds now. I'm especially happy with how the ferns in the front are doing as foreground.

3 of my 4 marigolds survived and seem happy enough. There are already many little yellow babies swimming around the drift wood. Also a number of bright orange and yellow snails have sprung up recently and while there are a few too many right now, I have to admit the color is very vibrant against all the brown and green. Sadly of the 3 of my new spotted corries, only one is still kicking and he doesn't look great.
I'm tempted to get a few loaches (they eat snails right?) but my tank has about a 35% survival rate for bottom dwellers for some reason. Any colorful fish suggestions? anything to offset all this green :)

Attachments

• Picture 271.jpg
    Picture 271.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Picture 272.jpg
    Picture 272.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 96
You know what my new favorite fish is? Endler's Liverbearer! They are one of the most colorful fish I have seen for freshwater.

I don't see a need to offset the green color in your tank. I find it to be extremely attractive and beautiful. I wish my plants looked like that! I do not have success with bottom dwelling fish either. Keep in mind that because of heavily planted aquariums, some aquarists cannot properly vacuum the substrate without uprooting all of the plants. Therefore the substrate becomes layered with fish waste and becomes toxic. This is a common killer for bottom feeding fish.

Hmm.. very true. I can really only properly vac about 60% of my tank due to all the plants and rock formations.. It probably doesn't help that I have a Turface substrate always giving off nitrates into the water as well. Its enough to make me want a second tank for corries.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled with the healthy plants :) but some warm red/orange/yellow colors would really punch it up another notch. Never heard of endler's livebearer but I'll research it tonight. I'm tempted to take a trip to the LPS since I have the day off tommorow.

Good evening everyone! It's been nearly a year since I've posted and thought I'd come crawling back for some advice. While I still maintain weekly water changes and all my fish are healthy, I've stopped paying attention to what the tank is doing and it's gotten rather dull.

Most of my fast growing plants are gone (due to some clumsy pruning on my part) and I'm left mainly with amazon swords and java ferns. Even with the CO2 and dry ferts they are gathering dark green and reddish algae on their leaves and many blades are dissolving.

I'm ready to get back into the hobby and will be looking for some faster plants to buy and also some new driftwood. My concern is that the silicone seal on my tank is covered in algae and chipping away a bit. Its been this way for over a year with no leaks, but should I be worried? I don't want to go to the trouble of a tank makeover just to have to reseal it a month later.

Attachments

• SDC10296.jpg
    SDC10296.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 86
  • SDC10298.jpg
    SDC10298.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 85
Righto, some more specific planning. I think I'm taking out the dark tower drift wood in the right corner as it's hardly noticeable. I found a beautiful two foot arched drift wood piece from amazonmoosey that should provide lots of hiding places for my two zebra loaches.

Around that I'm hoping to plant some bright green stem plants. Whatever my LFS has in stock that is medium light.

Lastly I'm going to add some slightly larger silvery fish to help keep my marigold sword tail population in check. They are breeding out of control and the orange in the tank is getting a bit overwhelming. I'm also on the fence about researching RCS, but probably have enough on my plate already.

Thinking i'm just going to leave the silicone seal alone and trust my luck. I'll post pictures in a few weeks to show my success/failure.

Back
Top Bottom