First timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just realized i can directly upload a picture so there it is. I plan to stack the rock in the center and lower to the sides to hide the HOB filter, kinda like a mountain but from back to front in a U shape. Havent seen one like it and it kinda sounded cool.

Up coming equipment I'm getting as a gift. What are your thoughts.

- Hydor Koralia 750
- Fluval M 200 watt heater
- API saltwater master kit
- Hydrometer

Today going to pick up some base rock that came out of 155 gallon salt take if it looks good. Probably enough for half my scaping. Then after Christmas pick up remaining live rock for $3 pound locally and sand and put it all together. 20 days feels like so long

I love my 750. Gives great movement to my tank. Im thinking i accidently bumped mine as my pH has dove quickly. But yes, those are all excellent pickups. When you get your powerhead, make sure it is making good ripples on the surface of your tank so you can get fresh oxygen in or your pH will dive like mine.

Snipe- I'll def look for that..thanks for the advice. I think with the 750 making a current as well as the bio-wheel splashing i should have good oxygen in the water.

Well, I have a filter, UV sterilizer, protein skimmer, and my 750 creating movement in the water. If I did bump my 750, the before mentioned aren't doing much. I'm going to readjust when I get home from work and move the air intake from my skimmer out the window to get real fresh air rather than the stuffy inside air. If you have anything gas powered in your house, like my furnace is, it will add CO2 to the air in your house and cause a pH drop.

your awesome snipe thanks for the help. Just called my lfs about rock and stuff. They sell live branched coral rock? or is is branched rock? for $10.99 pound. Good bad? Also Ro/Di water is .50 a gallon, Premixed Ro/Di saltwater is $2 a gallon. Sound reasonable?

I would assume that it was branched coral of some sort...not really sure...but that sounds really expensive to me. I got 50 lbs of the stuff for 200...but the fiji i got from my lfs was 20 a piece. Depends on where you get it from and the look you are going for.

As for water, I am currently using premixed. My house water isn't fit for human consumption and I'm not the best at making sure my measurements are accurate...even if I do it multiple times. I'll be diving into the realm of mixing water in the next week probably.

I would recommend mixing your own water, just get a garbage can and throw in some salt (depends on how much water you are making) And ur powerhead to mix
It all up.

I bought a few pieces of old coral? That is what they are right? But i thought it looked pretty sweet so I had to buy it.

Attachments

• P1030391.jpg
    P1030391.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 112
Looking at it some more it might be to much to have that and then add the live rock. Any thoughts? Maybe move that large fan shaped one to the right corner then the branched one all the way to the left and infill between with live rock and take out the small piece on the left.

Morning everyone. Small update to anyone following. This has turned more into a journal for now. I'm one step closer to finally setting up tank and ordered

- Hydor Koralia 750
- Fluval M 300 watt heater (instead of 200) was a $1 more.
- API saltwater master kit
- Hydrometer

Everything is coming between the 19th and 22nd. So it looks like I'll be setting it up after Christmas around new years.

Alright, everything comes early next week. I also found someone taking down a 150 gal reef tank to move who is selling his live rock for $3 lb. What would be your picks for best substrate. I want to start off with live rock and maybe a fish and in a month start adding coral. So i will have fish, live rock and coral in the end keep in mind. I was thinking a thin layer of crushed coral? or maybe a slightly bigger grain size of sand. Will be buying the sand this Friday so PLEASE throw your thoughts and personal bias and opinions out.

Gratz on finding such a deal on LR. Once you get it set up, make sure you post pictures.

In terms of substrate, most people (including myself) prefer sand over crushed coral. The most voiced opinion (and only one I'm concerned with personally) is that extra food and other wastes gets stuck in crushed coral easily and ends up effecting your levels. Even though most will voice against "live sand", I picked a good amount up for my tank. This gave me the "natural" look that I wanted in terms of sand and having some crushed up coral and shells in it., but not enough that it would cause an issue with nitrates. Some will say that using other sands will do just fine if cleaned well, but I have no experience with it. If this reef tank that is being taken down is selling his LR, you might want to ask him about his substrate and if he would part with some of it as well.

Hope the setup goes well. Get enough LR in your tank from that large setup and you can set yourself up for a shorter cycle.

I wanted to go the same direction you did with the sand and mixing in some live sand for the natural look. Also i think im only buying 35-45 pounds. I don't want me tank over crowded with rock. I like the more open look.

Finally everything is set up.I'll post a picture when the water settles and I rearrange the rock. Question on the cycle though. There is about 45 pounds of live rock. Actual live rock as i took it from his tank and kept it submerged in his water. The guy I got the rock and water from said my cycle should only be about 1-3 days. I am using his established rock and his water from the tank the rock came from. What are your thoughts? I figured there will be some die off do to sloshing around as i drover around Buffalo back to my place but besides that its pretty much the same tank right?

rearranged the rock this morning(not this photo) but the water is cloudy what are your thoughts on the the rock?

Attachments

• P1030393.jpg
    P1030393.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom